Chickens keep pecking each other - please help !

• 4 Replies

Pashley

Chickens keep pecking each other - please help !
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:30 »
Hi, I have two bovan goldline chickens and one bovan silver (which is younger and only started laying last week). I have been keeping them seperately but have now put them in the same hen house. How can I stop the goldlines pecking the silver one in the hen house ? I'm really worried about it as we have already lost two chickens this year and I'm sure the bullying set them on a bad spiral. They free range during the day and seem to get on with only a little jostling at feed times.

I put some vinegar in their water today - will that help ? It didn't seem to tonight when I put them to bed !

Thanks,

Steve

Vember

Re: Chickens keep pecking each other - please help !
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:43 »
Hi Pashley

Welcome to the Hen House :)

Are they purposely attacking her or just moving her out of the way whilst trying to get in the best position for the night?
Mine do the latter and sometimes it does sound bad - especially when one takes a tumble off the perch  :lol:
If they are ripping out feathers and have bald patches then you, might want to try some chicken specs info about them found here :

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25606.0

If it's just them sorting out who's boss then you may find it soon settles down :)

The vinegar you have put in the water is it apple cider vinegar? This wont stop them from picking on one another, it just helps with congestion and helps keep them in good order health wise :)

Sarah :D

Pashley

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23 »
Thanks Sarah - I'll leave them for a couple more days and see what happens.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 13:08 »
Hi Pashley
Pecking and bullying can be awful! It sounds like the older hens are bullying the younger one which has been introduced to them recently.
I would remove the bully -or just the most dominant bird and put her in a run on her own during the day, this may help. Sometimes popping a cockerel in with them will sort out the pecking order  (as long as he isn't too young)-mine always do! :)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 18:29 »
Or (if you have the time!) you could stay in the run with them and be the cockerel. Not as mad as it first sounds, it's just like dog whispering. You become the highest in the pecking order, all you do is push down on the back of the hen that is bullying - not hard just like stroking her. She will squat as if to submit to the cockerel, hold her for a few seconds. I did this for a day when one of the newbies was being really pecked and was getting distressed. She now has to have her supper next to me and sits on my lap and I am sure that it speeded up the integration, a matter of a few days rather than weeks. You don't have to pat the girls hard it's all to do with energies and being the dominant energy.

Written down it does sound barmy, but our hens are happy!

xx
Is there a way of telling the pecking order of chickens?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 17:21
by Bonniebean
xx
Coccidiosis In Chickens and Pecking Order established - unfortunately!

Started by 4feathers on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 09:21
by joyfull
xx
Pecking

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 07:43
by alancane
xx
pecking

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 02:00
by Caralou

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 37 queries.