Seeds in a conservatory

• 12 Replies

charliesmum

Seeds in a conservatory
« on: March 06, 2007, 16:44 »
I want to get started with something, but the allotment isn't ready yet, and the greenhouse is waiting for the glass, so can I chit my potatoes and start my seeds off in the conservatory.

It is south facing so gets quite warm when the sun is out

WG.

Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 16:45 »
Yes, that's what I do.  Mine has a glass roof though so remember to turn then if yours is slated.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 16:47 »
your better off chitting in a cool light place, might get a bit warm for ur spuds. Seeds no probs but again its a bit early for most of them unless you would like to watch things growing but a later sowing will catch up very quickley if left a few more weeks before you sow, toms could go in now alot of people I know have them going and leeks can also be started now.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

charliesmum

Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 17:55 »
Thanks for the replies, like everyone else, I am desperate to do something, so looks like I will be starting my tomatoes and leeks.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 18:15 »
I have chitted my potatoes really well in the conservatory but I have turned off the heating in there so it remains cool all the time. If you start your seeds off on a bedroom windowsill until they germinate they will do fine in a cool conservatory as well.
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 12:18 »
I spent a chunk of last Sunday putting various seeds in propogators just to see what would happen.

I sowed three types of Rocket, two types of tomatoes, three types of chillis and four herbs (basil, chives, parsley, coriander).

They've spent four days (today's day 5) on a windowsill that gets sun in the day - and it's been reasonably sunny between the showers down here.

The Rocket are going like the clappers - five days in and they're an inch high, and there are tiny signs of life from one of the toms (Legend).

Nothing from anything else yet, but it's just such a thrill when you suddenly check the propogators and there's living things in them  :D
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:22 »
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"
I spent a chunk of last Sunday putting various seeds in propogators just to see what would happen.

I sowed three types of Rocket, two types of tomatoes, three types of chillis and four herbs (basil, chives, parsley, coriander).

They've spent four days (today's day 5) on a windowsill that gets sun in the day - and it's been reasonably sunny between the showers down here.

The Rocket are going like the clappers - five days in and they're an inch high, and there are tiny signs of life from one of the toms (Legend).

Nothing from anything else yet, but it's just such a thrill when you suddenly check the propogators and there's living things in them  :D

My rocket died a horrible death as I left them in the proporgater too long, the got about an inch or 2 high and suffered in the humidity, same as the toms and a few other flowers..

oh and the Basil didn't like it in there either... or the spinach.... wasn't a good start for me this year :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 13:14 »
I've never ever bothered with propagators, I've always used seed tray covers, clear plastic meat trays, or plastic bags.

Whatever I use - as soon as the seeds start to geminate, the cover comes off, otherwise the seedling gets drawn & weak - as you've unfortunatley found out. Plenty of time to re-sow, very early days yet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 13:29 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
as soon as the seeds start to geminate, the cover comes off

100% with you on that one DD.   I frequently germinate seeds in the conservatory and then sling them out of doors (or into a coldframe) as soon as the first few break the surface.  I reckon a brand new seedling is a lot hardier than one with soft growth on it.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 16:07 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
I've never ever bothered with propagators, I've always used seed tray covers, clear plastic meat trays, or plastic bags.

Whatever I use - as soon as the seeds start to geminate, the cover comes off, otherwise the seedling gets drawn & weak - as you've unfortunatley found out. Plenty of time to re-sow, very early days yet.

Well, I say propogators, actually one is a proper propogator, one is a cellular seed tray with a clear plastic box upturned over it and one is a cellular seed tray with a cover made from polythene and coat-hangers - but they're propogators to me!

Interesting what you say about the cover coming off - my rocket shoots are about an inch. Should I uncover and leave in the same spot?

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 16:08 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I frequently germinate seeds in the conservatory and then sling them out of doors (or into a coldframe) as soon as the first few break the surface.  I reckon a brand new seedling is a lot hardier than one with soft growth on it.

If I don't have a cold frame, would an unheated greenhouse do?

WG.

Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 16:15 »
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"
If I don't have a cold frame, would an unheated greenhouse do?

Yes if fully ventilated.  The idea is to keep them very hardy and a closed greenhouse would get very warm during sunny spells.   The perfect conditions are full light and low temperature (above freezing)

Annie

Seeds in a conservatory
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 16:29 »
Rocket will do OK outside if you harden it off,some of mine has overwintered despite being dumped out of a big pot needed for the Christmas tree,it`s putting up loads of new leaves.I often sew a bit outside now sheltered from the wind.

xx
conservatory

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 13:52
by lucywil
xx
Tomatos ill growing in conservatory

Started by JohnB on Grow Your Own

61 Replies
Last post November 29, 2007, 11:22
by richyrich7
xx
what can I grow over winter in my conservatory?

Started by daisy1990 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 17:00
by daisy1990
xx
Leeks - when to sow seed in cold conservatory in Southern England?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2016, 21:42
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.819 seconds with 37 queries.