How Long Exactly?

• 7 Replies

AndyRVTR

How Long Exactly?
« on: January 25, 2009, 18:54 »
I have read one or two posts where people who have got new chooks have been advised to keep them in their shed for the first 3 or 4 days.
Is this so when they are let out they dont run away and forget where they live?
If this is the case, my chooks have a 7ft fence around the shed, so they cant run off, would I be ok to let them have the run of the run straight away?

Molly Hen

How Long Exactly?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 18:57 »
I was told that it was so that they know where to go to bed.

I left mine locked inside for a couple of days (felt a bit mean, but well worth it).  When it got dark they knew exactly where to go.  If you let them play out straight away you may find that you have to struggle to put them to bed on a night until they get used to the idea.

Would love to see some pic's :)

Vember

How Long Exactly?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 19:03 »
Depending on the time of day you get them.
This is what I'd do :)

If you get them in the afternoon I'd put them in the coop and leave them with food & water till the next day - otherwise you might end up playing chase when its bedtime :lol:

If you get them am put them in the coop for a couple of hours then let them out dinner-time ish :)

Having a secure run really helps with new birds less chance of them doing a runner :lol:

Sarah :)

karlooben

How Long Exactly?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 20:09 »
when i first  got my girls i let them out the boxes into the run as soon as we got them home and omggggggggg did i have fun that night getting them in ohhhh yess , and that was the first time i had ever touched a chicken let alone attempt to keep them  :lol:  :lol:  i learn the hard way .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

robbiechick

How Long Exactly?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 20:50 »
I put my chickens in there house mid afternoon and let them out the next day and they were fine they went back just as it was getting dark.They are in a run which is 70ftx10ft so i think people must leave them in  there house for longer if the chickens have alot of land to roam around in just to play safe. :D

AndyRVTR

How Long Exactly?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 21:13 »
I put mine in around 12.30 yesterday and I put them straight into the shed where they stayed in until about 2.30 today.. I opened the 'let' and left them to it... I saw one of them peeking out as I left but I dont know for definate if they even went into the run after I had gone.
They were all tucked up when I got back around 5pm.

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: How Long Exactly?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 15:13 »
We put ours in when we got home then let them out in the morning. the next evening we put them inside before it got dark.  then after that they knew what to do.
We got them in the afternoon and it was January, so they did spend a lot of the first day in there.
I remember we were told to put food and drink in the house, just in case they needed it and they tipped the drink all over the straw and newspaper bedding.
 :(

AndyRVTR

Re: How Long Exactly?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 21:36 »
Just a quick update... When my chooks hear me opening the lottie gate on a morning, they are waiting at the door when I open up  :) :)
When I get back from work thay are waiting at the run gate for me coming back with their supper.. LOL... I think i've been worrying for nothing, anyway thanks for all the advice folks  :) :) :)

xx
How long do they live how long do they lay

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:02
by joyfull
xx
Grass - how long is too long

Started by cammi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr
xx
At long last

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 21:15
by yorkshirerose
xx
How long should you let her sit

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 17:00
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.