Aromatherapy animal bedding

• 9 Replies

Molly Hen

« on: January 25, 2009, 10:54 »
Can anyone advise?

A friend has given me a large bag of "Aromabed - Dust free aromatherapy animal bedding - easy breath".  It looks like a dark-wood saw dust as apposed to shavings.  Not sure if it would be suitable for the hens coup.  Have tried googling the above words but nothing coming up.  

Like the idea of "aromatherapy bedding" for the hens but worried if it will be too fine....... although it does say dust free :!:

Should I use it?  What will be the worst that can happen?

3frenchhens

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:03 »
I would be very careful of using anything with essential oils in.  I have just started using essential oils on my poultry but under the strict supervision of Caroline Ingraham (www.ingraham.co.uk).  Check out her website, she has many years experience and recommends that the animal should always have the opportunity of getting away from the aroma, which wouldn't be the case if it was in their coop.  The aroma build up might be too strong for them. In my opinion!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:50 »
What does it smell like?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:49 »
When I poo pick I always look forward to throwing a handful or two of fresh sawdust on top because of the smell of fresh sawn pine. I don't know if the hens like it but I love it  :D

I assume their favourite smell is of themselves and their fellow housemates. Anything else may hinder their natural comforting smells. ie. anything other than fox  :shock:

Rob 8)

Molly Hen

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 13:46 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
What does it smell like?

Just had a sniff and it doesn't really smell of anything.  If anything it only smells of a hard wood (but don't know what).

I might try a handful mixed with the normal shavings  to see if the hens react any differently to it......  if all else fails it can go in the compost heap!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 13:49 »
If it's hard and splintered, it may hurt their feet. Could you soak it in something pleasant and use it as pot pourri once dried ?

Rob 8)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 14:18 »
A horse on my yard was using this product as bedding - to no ill effect - but there was a very definite smell other than sawdust/wood chippings from it. I, personally, found it very pleasant but the point of aromatherapy oils is that they should only be used if the person/animal likes the smell. We're all different and we know our hens are too. You could perhaps check their reaction to it first. I don't know what a hen that didn't like the smell of something would do to let you know! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Molly Hen

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 16:33 »
Thought I'd try and show a picture of the bedding .... a bit dull really and not a chicken in sight :!:

its a huge bag as well, so if I went with Rob's suggestion I would have enough pot pouri for everyone on this forum :lol:  :lol:

My worth fear is that the girls will try and eat it :?

Parsnip

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 16:38 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
If it's hard and splintered, it may hurt their feet. Could you soak it in something pleasant and use it as pot pourri once dried ?

Rob 8)

:lol:  :lol:

Can't have there feet hurt can we...ya big softy you... :wink:

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 16:38 »
:lol:  That could be a moneyspinner ! :)

I have seen ours nibble at the softwood shavings. But only a bit of picking. i think they have a taste and realise it's bland.

Try a little bit mixed in and keep an eye on things. I'm sure they'll be ok.

Rob 8)

xx
Last nights news about animal feed

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 21:16
by adw
xx
Bedding

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 18:25
by maggiem
xx
What Bedding Do You Use?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 20, 2012, 10:52
by ANHBUC
xx
Bedding.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 18:51
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.