home made compost bins

• 6 Replies

brendabel18

home made compost bins
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:31 »
Hello again,

I have seen the compost bin made of what looks like chicken wire and posts on other folks allotments. I want to make some for myself but was wondering first how and then how do you get the stuff out when ready??

jack of all trades master of none..... so please be kind!

bx
thanks
xb

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
home made compost bins
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:38 »
I made one by hammering posts into earth in a square the wrapped the wire around 3 sides of bin. Used wire staples to fix to posts.The third side of wire is tied on or wired on so you take off or open to get at the compost.

Hope this helps

aceofspades

compost bin
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:10 »
i have made 4 bins from discarded pallets. First i got 5 pallets and placed 3 one way and placed 2 the opposite which gave me 3 bays and just nailed them together..easy peasey. In the first bay i intend to put all grass clippings, the 2nd horse manure and 3rd general. I have then made another from just 3 pallets and i shall take an amount from each and layer it also introducing straw and newspapers ( all free) untill it is full and then cover with old carpet. Dont know if i am on the right track but am going to try as like you i am new to gardening but well hooked now.I shall also give it water to keep it moist  from my water butts (old barrels) . Happy days  :D

woodburner

home made compost bins
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:50 »
The wire mesh bins are the standard way of making leafmould. I haven't seen it suggested for ordinary compost. I suspect that ordinary compost material would be too wet and acidic for the wire to last long. If you have an abundant (free or very cheap) supply of second hand mesh I reckon it's as good a way of recycling as any, but otherwise, I'd use pallets. I like a bin with a sturdy back when it comes to turning time.  :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Clampit

home made compost bins
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:49 »
I used pallets also as they were free. :D

peanut

• Experienced Member
home made compost bins
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 17:47 »
not wanting to teach granma to suck eggs but:

In order for a compost bin to be successful, you need 3 things: water, oxygen and organic matter. Add to this retained self-produced warmth and the micro-organisms, brandling worms etc all move in and work their magic.

If any of the 3 are deficient, no good.  I would worry that using chicken wire would allow too much oxygen to circulate and not enough heat to be retained.

Personally I use old pallets and the stuff that comes out of the bottom is bootiful and crawling with bugs etc.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
My composter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 19:17 »
I agree wire composters are usually for leaves. I would also agree a back will also help. We have used an old coal bunker at the back and down one side. Along the front and on the remaining side we have pallets they are removeable. We have put fence posts into the ground and slotted the pallets onto them. To fill the holes we have used straw. makes the heap hotter. We also have concrete blocks and a thick black liner on the inside.

I would def consider three or four like at Berryfields. Ours is not divded but could be, we just section it without a physical barrier seems to work really well. We also have a black composter bin this is for weeds so perhaps one day the soil will be ok to use but it was free and we have to pay to join the garden waste scheem! :x

xx
home made compost

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 14:55
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Home made compost

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 14:16
by viettaclark
xx
home made compost

Started by meterman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 00:25
by solway cropper
xx
home made compost

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 15:09
by Trillium

Page created in 0.569 seconds with 38 queries.