Possible 2 lotties !

• 21 Replies

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
Possible 2 lotties !
« on: January 23, 2009, 13:55 »
Hello all,

I have been waiting to get another plot where I am at the moment and even through there are 5 plots that have not been touched for at least 2 years, the council reckon that there are people interested and I have to wait ! :roll:

Anyway the council has offered me a plot at another site (only a few more miles away).

Anyone here have 2 plots on the go ? Should I just wait until I'm offered a plot where I'm at the moment ?

thanks

TMH

puravida

• Experienced Member
Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 14:09 »
Depends on how much time you have on your hands.
Would certainly be more convenient having both plots on the same site - one shed, one lot of tools etc etc.

One possibility would be to plant large amounts of low maintenance stuff on the further away plot I guess?
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

GreenOwl

Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 14:42 »
How are you keeping up with the one plot?

I seem to remember it was covered with brambles - or was that your neighbours?

I'd wait for a plot on the same site but I guess it depends on how much or urgently you want that second plot.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 15:33 »
Quote from: "Thamesmeadhammer"

Anyone here have 2 plots on the go ? Should I just wait until I'm offered a plot where I'm at the moment ?

I've 2 DD.'s got 3 there's plenty on here who have 2 or more plots, but not on different sites I don't think
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

woodburner

Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 16:25 »
I've got two but they are only 5 rods each (and that's only if I can reclaim the original path from the brambles :D ) and they are next to each other
The other two allotmenteers there also have two plots each, and are managing ok. :)

How long is the waiting list? And how long have you had your name on it? Overgrown plots put off some people, so that's a plus for you. On the other hand when someone does take over a plot they are often given a years leeway to get to grips with it, and it can take another year to go through the eviction procedure.

If it really is going to be years before you get a plot at the same site, I'd seriously consider getting one on another site. I'd be torn between what puravida suggests and growing perennials and fruit bushes at the better site with the rotation crops at the other, in case you get offered one at your preferred site later. :?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 16:45 »
Quote from: "GreenOwl"
How are you keeping up with the one plot?

I seem to remember it was covered with brambles - or was that your neighbours?

I'd wait for a plot on the same site but I guess it depends on how much or urgently you want that second plot.

Hello Green Owl,

Well the brambles was a nightmare ! My neighbour (He's know as Pete C on here) has managed only a little bit and we have managed to clear 95% of them, but now have to dig the roots out completely ! I have MAJOR brambles on 2 sides because the lots are vacant, that is why I asked for a plot next to mine ! The council have confirmed that they have been taken  :shock: Bexley Council are a nightmare !

And now we have this awful wet weather I'm unable to do anything for fear of doing more damage then good ! Every time I dig a hole it fills with water !

My plot is only half a plot, it measures 33m x 10m so it's not that big

GreenOwl

Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 17:16 »
I saw a picture posted by Pete C over his plot towards yours and I saw the brambles!  :shock:

Well done  :thumleft:

Regarding 2 plots, have you got the time to maintain 2 plots on 2 different sites?

I can't help regarding drainage either  :( .  I saw your other topic, doesn't sound good.  Whatever you do about I think you have to wait until the ground dries out a bit.

I would think you could improve drainage by adding organic matter, fine grit (maybe silver sand?) or making raised beds and buying stuff in to fill them.   Given you've got to dig to get the bramble roots out, I'd look at digging stuff in to improve the drainage at the same time but you'll still have to wait until it dries a bit.

Hopefully someone else will be along who can answer that one more authoratively than me.

Edited to say:  sharp or grit sand apparently not silver sand.

shaun

Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 19:50 »
i have 2 plots side by side  8)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 19:53 »
I've got 2.5 plots, about 800 sq m, but I wouldn't like them on different sites.

I like to go on my bike when possible, this would mean either 2 lots of tools in 2 sheds, or always going in the car.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shaun

Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 19:57 »
what bike yer got DD ?

theres some plots 100yards from my front door but they are very small,ideal if or when i get chickens  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 20:01 »
Errrr - a black one from Halfords.

Not a mega keenie like yourself!

Bombers

Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 20:03 »
Quote from: "DD."
Errrr - a black one from Halfords.

Not a mega keenie like yourself!

Does it have 2 wheels, and front and back breaks like mine... :lol:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 20:05 »
That's the one!!!

shaun

Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 20:06 »
:roll: nice  :roll:  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Possible 2 lotties !
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 20:08 »
It says "Apollo XC26s" on it.

(Sorry for hi-jack - won't be long!)

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 37 queries.