Cabbages, golden acre.

• 2 Replies

RGManby

Cabbages, golden acre.
« on: January 23, 2009, 00:39 »
I put some seeds in a segmented tray about ten days ago, for earlies in the poly tunnel, well blow me 19 out of 20 have shown.

My problem being they all seem really leggy now, 2 leaf and 2" tall, I tried shutting them in a cool dark cupboard after germination to promote root growth, but these things are beginning to resemble triffids, is this normal or did I just do them too early?

Thanks in advance.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Cabbages, golden acre.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:07 »
The problem is you did entirely the wrong thing by depriving them of light. They will put on rapid leaf growth in an attempt to search for it.

You may have to resow, but give them as much light as you can. It's from light and photosynthesis that the plant makes it's food.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

RGManby

Cabbages, golden acre.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 09:27 »
Quote from: "DD."
The problem is you did entirely the wrong thing by depriving them of light. They will put on rapid leaf growth in an attempt to search for it.

You may have to resow, but give them as much light as you can. It's from light and photosynthesis that the plant makes it's food.

Ahh thanks very much for that, I am sure somewhere I had read if they get too leggy too soon to deprive them of light, I do get a bit senile at times though so I probably made it up and believed it, put them out in the porch for now will see how they get on. Live and learn all the time hey.

Thanks very much again for that :D

Gav.

xx
golden wonder

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 19:36
by Motivator
xx
Golden wonder

Started by Motivator on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2007, 20:05
by Ice
xx
Golden Wonder

Started by Moosley on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 10:51
by senrab_nhoj
xx
Golden Zuchinni

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 20:09
by realfood

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 36 queries.