Broad Beans

• 18 Replies

Minty

• Experienced Member
Broad Beans
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:08 »
I put some broad beans in one of our raised beds last october and have since decided to do away with all the raised beds and go for the traditional line planting method.
The thing is these beans are now in the way and I was just wondering if it'd be OK to move them?They are about 4" tall at the minuit and pretty well spaced out so I could get them out without disturbing the root's.

Kagganz

Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13 »
Budge up Minty, I'll wait with you,  I want to know about moving 'em too...........

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Broad Beans
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:15 »
Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice Minty.

Pull them out and bin them you'll get nothing, transplant them at this time of year and they may or may not survive and you'll get something.

If they were mine and I really wanted to do away with the raised bed now, I would bin them (or feed them to my chooks) and plant some fresh seed in the early spring.  They would catch up quickly and probably do better than any transplanted ones.

Salmo

Broad Beans
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:22 »
What is the difference between transplanting these and planting out some that have been grown in modules? At least yours will not need to be hardened off.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Broad Beans
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:44 »
The roots in modules will be restricted and therefore complete.  It's almost impossible to lift plants from the ground without root damage, and there's not a lot of active growth  going on just now to help them recover from a move.

As I said yer "pays yer money ... "

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Broad Beans
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:17 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
The roots in modules will be restricted and therefore complete.  It's almost impossible to lift plants from the ground without root damage, and there's not a lot of active growth  going on just now to help them recover from a move.

As I said yer "pays yer money ... "

+1
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Minty

• Experienced Member
Broad Beans
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 15:06 »
Thanks for the advice,I'v got some in pot's in the greenhouse so I'll use these and the Mrs can have the others for the guinea pigs. :D

milkman

Broad Beans
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 16:49 »
if your piggies are anything like my piggies broad bean plants will be quite far down the list of favourite munching plants....
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Gardeningguru

Re: Broad Beans
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:32 »
Quote from: "Minty"
I put some broad beans in one of our raised beds last october and have since decided to do away with all the raised beds and go for the traditional line planting method.
The thing is these beans are now in the way and I was just wondering if it'd be OK to move them?They are about 4" tall at the minuit and pretty well spaced out so I could get them out without disturbing the root's.

I agree about "take your chances".  Although, saying that, broad beans are fairly easy to grow anyway and new ones planted in spring, will catch up with October sown ones in no time (I would imagine). Especially as the growth rate this time of year is minimal.

However, the question comes to mind, why be moving beds about at this time of year.  Will one more raised bed season hurt?   :)

horsepooisgood

Broad Beans
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:42 »
If as implied on this thread that beans sown now will soon catch up with october sown ones it begs the question, why sow in october?
Could the answer be that we just like to see something growing?

wighty

Broad Beans
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:26 »
I've always found the ones I plant in October are more resistant to blackfly than the ones I plant in the Spring.  I think being outside in the cold hardens the stems and makes it harder for the fly to pierce.

Gardeningguru

Broad Beans
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06 »
Quote from: "wighty"
I've always found the ones I plant in October are more resistant to blackfly than the ones I plant in the Spring.  I think being outside in the cold hardens the stems and makes it harder for the fly to pierce.

Good point, but most of the time where I live, the Blackfly are attacking the fresh growth.

RichardA

Broad Beans
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 14:10 »
I always plant a few extra so if any fail to germinate or get "mouse took" I can move the extras (which always seem to germinate)  in to gaps and make the rows look better - always seems to work OK so go for it. Just follow good practice -- take a "good big rootball"  and move swiftly before any roots start drying out
R

Bombers

Broad Beans
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 20:34 »
Quote from: "Gardeningguru"
Quote from: "wighty"

Good point, but most of the time where I live, the Blackfly are attacking the fresh growth.

The one's sown in October get a good head start, and by the time the fly arrive, you can pinch out the tops (where they like to settle). this doesn't affect the yield as with later sown beans. It's better to keep some extras in trays in the greenhouse just in case you need to fill in your rows. Not much difference in growth really, by the time you come to harvest. Last year, my beans planted outdoors were doing great, but had blackened leaves from wind rock. This year they've hardly popped there little heads out, due to all the cold weather. :smurf:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

FRUITFULL

Broad Beans
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 21:24 »
This thread was great as i wanted to know if i could move them as they are bang smack in the way of where we want to put a water but :roll:

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.688 seconds with 36 queries.