both
2 (6.1%)
Own grown tomatoes
7 (21.2%)
Passata
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: January 30, 2009, 23:18

Bolognaise homemade sauce or ready made??

• 23 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 20:50 »
It's not fair cos i choose tins cos i don't use made sauces.....but that was before there was the added option of home grown :(

Sulking now..........

Poolfield2

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 21:45 »
Have you tried roasting tomatoes before you make the sauce? It concentrates the flavour and makes it even yummier. If I have time, I do this as I pick toms for the freezer but have found that if I freeze small toms whole, you can roast them from frozen.

Mind you with blight the last 2 years home grown toms have been in short supply :roll:

Stripey_cat

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 18:48 »
I use cans or passata, whichever is cheaper at the moment, unless I've got fresh tomatoes growing.  I've never had enough of a crop to process my own for the winter.  (Partly I'm a tomato hog who'll eat a pound a day easily, and partly first dibs on any surplus goes for chutney.)

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
Re: Bolognaise homemade sauce or ready made??
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:29 »
I use cans, but I prefer fresh toms when I have them! All the rest is home made, I can't stand jars of sauces when I can so easily make my own, but that is just my personal preference :)
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it!

Angelah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 09:45 »
Until recently I'd use tinned and passata, hubby uses ready made jars. But now having toms on the allotment I started making our own from scratch! Absolutely delish!!! Am intending to grow loads more this year, as we've almost finished last years batch!

And it gets the thumbs up from the boys too - the ready made jars come bottom of the list!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 14:22 »
I freeze as many of our own grown toms as I can.  Just cut them up a bit and weigh them in 2lb bags.  So I use them through the years until I run out, then go on to cans of toms.  I never buy a ready made sauce anymore they are generally c**p!!!

Nothing like making your own!  Once when I was staying at my daughter's in Kent, I made her boyfriend some burgers.  The girl next door said oh he will love them.  How do you make them????  With minced meat. I replied!!!!  Anyway, I told her I genealy put a little cooked and cooled onion inthem and a few breadcrumbs and egg to bing them as he likes them like that, and she said she'll have a go, but it amazes me how many people just can't be bothered!  I bought my daughter a little hamburger press so she could start making her own with a nice round shape, but I don't think she ever used it!!!

sclarke624

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 23:34 »
Grannie
I blame that on no more housecraft or domestic science in schools.  My girl has seen me make bolegnaise with cans and passata sometimes and still uses the jars.  Although now she lives in her own house she has gone all housewifey and trys a lot of the old way of making things.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 23:44 »
I agree with you sheila, they took so many things away from the schools, like cooking etc, but alo sold off all the sports fields for new houses to be built, and now the government are moanng because our children are obese.  If there was more sports in schools, insted of being something extra at the end of the day, then perhaps there wouldn't be so many overweight children? And if their parents had been taught to cook at school, they wouldn't be eating so much c**ppy stuff now!!

My Dad gave me my love of baking, but my Mum wasn't a brilliant cook.  If she made a stew monday with sunday's leftover meat, she would stew the bones and meat in water, then thicken that up (after removing bones of course!!) with pease pudding, then she'd add several tins of heinz soups!!! so until I left school, and started going out a bit, I thought that's what a stew was!!!!   :wacko:

She so mistrusted butchers that she washed all her meat and sausages and bacon before cooking, which was okay, until she washed the mince!!!!  Shepherd's pie was always a bit bland!!!!!!  Poor old Mum, but she did work hard.  full time job, 2 kids, hubby and had to come home late at night sometimes to  do the housework, as me and my big bro never did much to help.  I was always nose deep in a book or comic!

wighty

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 21:36 »
I did domestic science at school and got an A at O Level in 1975.   Within our education area there was no facility to study it further. My Grandmother was Barbara Cartlands Pastry Chef so this is where my love of cooking comes from. When my daughters did 'HE' recently I really laughed at the syllabus because all they did was design the cardboard packaging for a pack of biscuits.

xx
Preserving homemade pasta sauce

Started by chickpea13 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 08:17
by goose
xx
Containers for home made ready meals

Started by ghost61 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 14:04
by mr brambles
xx
Tom sauce

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 22:51
by tode
xx
Homemade Pizza

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:44
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 42 queries.