Raised Bed?

• 59 Replies

photoboy

• Evolve Photography
Raised Bed?
« on: January 20, 2009, 21:30 »
Okay, just planning my new (and first ever) veg patch.
First question (of many)...and yes I have read books, and watched that Titchmarsh bloke, but you guys (I guess) know best of all!
To raise or not to raise??
I have a reasonable size which is layed to grass at the moment no trees and quite good light (not south facing). Shall I dig (or double dig), put some cow manure and wait till March. Or should I go with raised beds?
Many many thanks for any tips in advance.
Mark

shaun

Raised Bed?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 21:45 »
i dont do raised beds i have my plot to grow veg and not to look pretty,its your garden/plot mark so you do what ever you want ,

double dig every couple of years if you can ,the manure is all down to what you intend to grow .
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
Raised Bed?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 22:20 »
Even if you do choose to go down the raised bed route I would double dig first

Elcie

Raised Bed?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 22:22 »
We put in raised beds during our first year last year and the are brilliant (and look pretty whilst growing veg!!!!)

We didn't double dig but single dug and added compost from the garden centre.

I love the raised beds and wouldn't be without them.  You know where to walk, you can see where the growing spaces are and weeding feels that little bit easier.  Although the paths still need weeding if you are looking for some kind of neatness!!

Parsley The Lion

Raised Bed?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 22:26 »
Pfft raised beds to look pretty??? Are you mad? I have raised beds on half my plot at the moment because I have clay soil that gets v v waterlogged. Beds allow you to avoid compressing the soil by strolling about on it and reduces the need to dig, which on some soils can worsen the structure rather than improve it. In northern climbs, beds heat up sooner which is also a benefit. Beds allow you to grow more in a small space and yields are usually equal to or higher than a standard plot (see the brilliant Geoff Hamilton for further info on this).
To be honest both beds and standard beds work really well and contrary to the above, I don't think that raised beds are always needed, BUT it is wrong to say that raised beds are for ornamental purposes. They have tangible benefits on difficult soil so  :tongue: to you Shaun :wink:
Your first job is to prepare the soil, the best tool for this is your neighbours's garden tiller. If your neighbour does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one

Ice

• muck spreader
Raised Bed?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 22:26 »
And despite prejudice from old hands they are just as productive.  Also, you only dig them every five years.  Nothing wrong with them, go for it. :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Raised Bed?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 22:28 »
The million dollar question (oh apart from the moon planting too  :D )!

Raised beds are great if you arent as mobile as you would like,so less bending,and they also prevent walking on the beds (see Mkhenrys thread).They will allow closer planting and a no-dig option once they are set up properly. They look great and are neat and tidy. They are also a good option if you are happy with the layout of your plot and want a permament set up with paths, apsparagus/rhubarb/JA beds.

On the minus side they can be expensive to source all the wood, they can be more fiddly to set up,they are usually hard to change once installed and dont allow for a lot of varation on plot set up unless you want lots of work.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

shaun

Raised Bed?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 22:29 »
i think its a fashion thing and i blame titmarsh for it  :wink:
anyhow how could i get my rotavator onto the raised beds  :roll:  :wink:

penance

Raised Bed?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 22:30 »
I agree with Parsley The Lion, raised only if needed.
I also have raised beds due to very heavy clay soil, but if i'd had decent soil I wouldn't of gone with the beds.

Parsley The Lion

Raised Bed?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 22:38 »
Quote from: "shaun"
don't be letting down the north, us northerners have no need for rotavators, we dig with our bare hands and the assistance of a few whippets :)

Parsley The Lion

Raised Bed?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 22:45 »
Quote from: "peapod"
On the minus side they can be expensive to source all the wood, they can be more fiddly to set up,they are usually hard to change once installed and dont allow for a lot of varation on plot set up unless you want lots of work.

it should be noted that we get free wood supplies on our allotment so it didn't cost me a penny! I built beds about 10x4ft, quite high sides, about a foot high on some, less on others (high sides deters carrot fly) with a path inbetween that gave enough room to reach the centre of the beds with ease. I didn't want to use up too much of the (free) allotment assoc soil so I will just fill them up over time. My plot had ducks swimming on it at one stage but with beds I had a fantastic first season with no experience and horrendous building skills. If you want to move the beds about just dont put deep corner posts in, if you have flat ground a small leg will do on the corners then the beds can be lightly placed on the soil rather than be hammered in. Beds also mean I can get to everything regardless of the weather because I don't have to risk squelching through wet soil to reach the plants

photoboy

• Evolve Photography
Raised Bed?
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 22:48 »
Being a soft southern jess I had better stick to flowers and truggs then really! :oops:

shaun

Raised Bed?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 22:48 »
Quote from: "Parsley The Lion"
don't be letting down the north, us northerners have no need for rotavators, we dig with our bare hands and the assistance of a few whippets :)

nope i rotavate whenever i can its brilliant

Parsley The Lion

Raised Bed?
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 22:53 »
nope i rotavate whenever i can its brilliant
Shaun that is gorgeous! And your plot aint for prettyness eh? Not jealous at all..... no really   :oops:

photoboy

• Evolve Photography
Raised Bed?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 22:55 »
Do you have any photos of your handywork Parsley??

Quote from: "Parsley The Lion"
Quote from: "peapod"

it should be noted that we get free wood supplies on our allotment so it didn't cost me a penny! I built beds about 10x4ft, quite high sides, about a foot high on some, less on others (high sides deters carrot fly) with a path inbetween that gave enough room to reach the centre of the beds with ease. I didn't want to use up too much of the (free) allotment assoc soil so I will just fill them up over time. My plot had ducks swimming on it at one stage but with beds I had a fantastic first season with no experience and horrendous building skills. If you want to move the beds about just dont put deep corner posts in, if you have flat ground a small leg will do on the corners then the beds can be lightly placed on the soil rather than be hammered in. Beds also mean I can get to everything regardless of the weather because I don't have to risk squelching through wet soil to reach the plants

xx
raised bed

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 17:25
by DoctorJon
xx
Raised Bed

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 11, 2009, 16:34
by sion01
xx
raised bed

Started by doug hutch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2009, 17:06
by Goosegirl
xx
raised bed

Started by poohpouri on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 23:14
by poohpouri

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 36 queries.