Tomato Master

• 21 Replies

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Tomato Master
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 01:51 »
Quote from: "Poolfield2"
Woo hoo another gadget :!:Don't tell Val that I'm being drawn to yet another gadget. I'm still resisting the jam maker so far. I can't be good all my life though.
I've been tempted by this as well. Our friend Annie in the Limousin has one an swears by it. However, we'll have to wait for a bigger house! I just drop my toms in boiling water and remove the skins before putting through the blender. Mind you, it wouldn't take up much space, would it?
Val
Recipes Galore!

Trillium

Tomato Master
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 03:23 »
These machines would not do plum seeds, which are far too big for the fine filter(s). Even grape seeds are too large, but soft berries will filter nicely. I have a problem with raspberry seeds as well but what the heck, I love a fresh raspberry and will deal with the consequences later.

I used to have an aluminum handcrank model, which I made my sons turn for me. Now I have a heavy duty one which attaches to my Kitchen Aid mixer (see my personal gallery for a pic doing toms). I don't blanch my toms as such. I quarter them and fill a huge heavy based stock pot and let them slowly stew until they're soft. then I bung them through the machine. One of my pots will do about a half bushel at a time and running it through the machine takes less than 10 minutes. The resulting waste pulp comes out quite dry.

Poolfield2

Tomato Master
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 17:02 »
Oh well I'll just stick to rubbing stuff through a seive, it works fine especially since my friend who is a wood turner made me a wooden tool, like a ball on a handle that pushes stuff through much better than a spoon.

Keep reminding myself that if I want to lower my carbon footprint I must buy less, especially gadgets :lol: BUT I LOVE GADGETS :(

sclarke624

Tomato Master
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 01:13 »
I have a problem with raspberry seeds as well but what the heck, I love a fresh raspberry and will deal with the consequences later.

Trillium thats interesting because my partner swears that everytime I make a smoothie (Christmas press), which practically always includes raspberries he has to go to the loo.  He has got a fairly sensitive stomach but not too bad.

That machine would be very useful for me, I think as I hate the blackberry pips and not over keen on a mouthful of raspberry pips at the end of a smoothie drink.  Tried using the sieve but smoothie was too thick to go through the little holes searched for a tea strainer (doesn't anyone use these anymore) paid over the top for only one I could find and that was to small with the holes as well.

Great for tommies as well of course.  I feel another Christmas pressie coming onto the list.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Trillium

Tomato Master
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 03:17 »
The original handcrank unit I had also offered different sizes of screening, so possibly you can find a make that offers 2 or 3 sizes for various fruits. Doesn't hurt to check....and then put your order in to Santa  :wink:

sclarke624

Tomato Master
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 19:15 »
The machine in Lakeland looks exactly like the seeds of italy one does anyone know if it is a different machine?  Although I notice the seeds of italy one seems to come with a shallow bowl to catch the juice?

Some people on lakeland as strangerachael says have given the lakeland one mixed reviews some saying it was more juice than puree BUT I guess that could be the type of tom used i.e. some used gardeners delight.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Tomato Master
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 20:47 »
The type or tomato pulped makes a huge difference to what comes out, of course. Ideally use plum or paste tomatoes.
But for making tomato sauces with a glut of 'ordinary' salad type tomatoes you just have to simmer the juice till it thickens a bit before you use,bottle or freeze it.

xx
lakeland tomato master

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2009, 22:24
by sclarke624
xx
Val's green tomato jam

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 00:20
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomato soup

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 10:09
by devonbarmygardener
xx
smoky tomato

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2015, 21:47
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.715 seconds with 38 queries.