When will she lay?

• 2 Replies

Evansent

• Experienced Member
When will she lay?
« on: January 18, 2009, 16:43 »
Hi All,

Is there an age limit as to when a bird should come into lay?  Mine are now 32 weeks and the legbar x is still not laying (all the others are - 2 blackrock types, Amberlink, warren and Maran X)   Do you think I might have to wait for spring...or do I have a duff bird....I think I would be able to tell if it were a cock bird by now wouldn't I ?

Thanks
C XXX
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Foxy

When will she lay?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 17:46 »
Not so much an "age limit" laying is more dictated by genetics (ie the breed) and the time of year, as well as when they were hatched.
For example a pure breed hatched late May -technically would be POL around December, they would be around 26 old(six months) however, because the days are short their laying season would not have been triggered. So I would wait another few weeks when the days get warmer and longer and she should then naturally come into lay. POLs hatched early in the season, say Feb,March might start laying in September as the days haven't yet shortened and they would be mature enough. :D

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
When will she lay?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 18:47 »
My Bantam hasn't started laying yet and I got her end of April supposed to be about 8 weeks then.

The cockerel does seem to be chasing her a bit so maybe she might start soon.

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.