Planning the lotty

• 30 Replies

Trillium

Planning the lotty
« on: January 17, 2009, 17:10 »
I was just cruising through U Tube and came across this very interesting video of a well planned lotty. I love his idea for carrots even though I don't need it here, but I do get cabbage butterflies and intend to make his cage. And for others just starting their lotty, John's book, Vegetable Growing Month by Month, is the ideal companion to have on site.

N0m5Qt1ipro

crowndale

Planning the lotty
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 17:37 »
very jealous!  Of course he does have a full sized plot (rather than my half sized one) and my guess is he hasn't been taking an infant down with him whilst constructing it, but still, gives one something to aim for!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Salmo

Planning the lotty
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 18:09 »
When you see something as perfect as that you just have to have a poke at it.

1. All those itty bitty boxes would drive me daft.
2. Just think of all the wasted growing space covered in paths.
3. Did not linger at the onion/garlic box- looked a bit poorly.

As you may have gathered, I am not a great fan of raised beds.

beansticks

Planning the lotty
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 18:22 »
I think it was fabulous,the guy has worked very hard to achieve that standard.

millymolymandy

Planning the lotty
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 19:01 »
I think it's great, he must have spent ages building his green houses and cages, you get all sorts of ideas from other people, Gardeners are so clever and resorceful, I have raised beds, but I live in a wet place with dodgy soil, so it's enabled me to build up the beds and to work on them in all weathers, though I have been a bit too stingy with my paths between them.
would have been enough for a crumble!

Fran

Ice

• muck spreader
Planning the lotty
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 20:25 »
What you lose on the paths you gain by being able to plant closer together in a raised bed.  Pound for pound they produce as much as a traditional plot.
Cheese makes everything better.

Snowy Howells

Planning the lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 23:22 »
I think it looks amazing! He also has a website about his allotment, loads of useful info there (and loads of inspiration!)  :lol:
Snowy xx
My Blog
1 OH, 3 sons & 14 chooks

woodburner

Planning the lotty
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 23:40 »
His beds didn't look particularly raised to me.   :?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

yummy

Planning the lotty
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 13:07 »
Looks great. I like the mini greenhouses - fancy a couple of those myself.

I have the space for a plot like that but don't have the time or the money at the moment. Will get there eventually.

Trillium

Planning the lotty
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 16:13 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
His beds didn't look particularly raised to me.   :?

I didn't think so either but it looks more like preparation for attaching protective netting or greenhouse type enclosures, which is probably why so many of his crops look so good.

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Re: Planning the lotty
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 17:45 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I was just cruising through U Tube and came across this very interesting video of a well planned lotty. I love his idea for carrots even though I don't need it here, but I do get cabbage butterflies and intend to make his cage. And for others just starting their lotty, John's book, Vegetable Growing Month by Month, is the ideal companion to have on site.

N0m5Qt1ipro

lookes too much hard work for me on that plot,the width of his paths is so narrow he must have to carry is manure in a bucket,it lookes all too closed in for me, its  like guantanamo bay,I will keep my open plan lotty thankyou very much and feel free  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Planning the lotty
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 20:49 »
Well very impressive I must say, though I'd not like his timber yard bill or the cost of all them slabs ! as for the raised beds not looking very deep, I agree but over next few years they will get deeper as he adds manure etc. Space to grow  :D

Like the idea of those squash thingys what did he call them ??
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

Planning the lotty
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 22:02 »
This afternoon I read his blog site and the raised beds are almost that. He dug the path areas down 3" or more and heaped them into the 'bed' areas and laid the frames on top of that, so, the beds are actually raised though not as much as I'd raise them. But to each his own. There's definitely loads of good tips from his video. Richy, when you reach 'old person' discounts age, then you too can afford his timber bill  :lol:

woodburner

Planning the lotty
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 22:19 »
Well I suppose 3" is more than some people would think to dig out, but it won't give much depth spread over the beds and of course the slabs raise the path a bit so that pretty much explains it.

I do like his frames though, I'm planning a similar thing myself only more like Geoff Hamilton's mini tunnels, (if I can just remember to look for blue pipe next time I am in Wickes or *&*.)   :lol:

nellie.b

Planning the lotty
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37 »
I think that this lotty is brill!when all you have is a shady,muddy patch like ours,this is something to aspire to.And when you are a skinflint like me you find ways of doing it cheaper!!

xx
new lotty.

Started by janet12000 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 07:53
by BrianK
xx
New lotty

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 19:08
by oakfairy
xx
Hi Ho....of to the Lotty we go.

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 18:54
by milkman
xx
We've got a lotty - nearly

Started by WhiteWolf on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post September 20, 2012, 17:54
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.826 seconds with 36 queries.