• 10 Replies

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
Progress update
« on: January 17, 2009, 16:57 »
Before:

Today:

Dave (OH) borrowed a strimmer from work. He cleared all of it today, including rasberries and rhubarb. We decided on getting rid and starting again some other time. Mullered Rhubarb..........

Dug shed into soil, after it blew over. We were really lucky, R1bazza kindly rescued our tools yesterday, nice to know how friendly our fellow allotmenteers are. So glad the shed is now where I've planned it to be, and not stuck in the middle of the plot.

Over the last week I've met quite a few neighbours, One showed me all his progress, and a underground trough where frogs live. Lets hope they eat slugs. Another is on the committee and was keen for me to get involved, and some other old boy just thinks I'm jealous of his nicely rotted muck. Perhaps I am. Did I ever expect to be jealous of poo?

I disturbed several ladybirds today, dunno what they were upto..

Still don't know whether to keep these currant bushes. I want to, Dave doesn't.

Started digging over my first bed. Must measure it and mark it out tomorrow before I get carried away. Too much blooming couch though

Having somewhere to perch my behind has come in very handy. Highly recommended.

Good day all round, but freezing cold now and back is killing me. Must pace myself. Got some family help in tomorrow.
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

WR1

• Experienced Member
Progress update
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 17:53 »
WOW  :shock:

Well done  :D

Loads of work done there :D

Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

Ice

• muck spreader
Progress update
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 19:44 »
Well done there.  Keep everything and see how well they grow, then if you don't like them get rid of them.  I threw some fruit bushes away and then wished I hadn't.  Rhubarb is as hard as old boots and I would move it to somewhere more convenient now, feed it and make a judgment later when it's grown.
Cheese makes everything better.

MoreWhisky

Progress update
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 19:53 »
Lookin Goood!

Bet it makes u feel real good. The one thing i like about this allotment thing is the amount of  satisfaction you achieve from something like this.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Snowy Howells

Progress update
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 23:27 »
Well done! Mines looking in a similar state. I can't imagine it ever looking neat and productive, but every day I do a bit more and it feels gooood!  8)
Snowy xx
My Blog
1 OH, 3 sons & 14 chooks

tallulah

Progress update
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 16:24 »
Well done Etherelda!  I would also suggest keeping the fruit bushes - they may give fantastic yields!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Progress update
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 16:43 »
Can I have your pink buckets? I love em!
Seriously well done it looks fab  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
Progress update
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 18:03 »
Quote from: "peapod"
Can I have your pink buckets? I love em!

Unfortunatly, they come from that evil retailer.

The chairman of the allotments society said that our allotment adventure playground. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Dave dug another bed together. He removed about the top 4-6 inches of sod, we are gonna stack them at the bottom of the new compost heaps. It made digging out the remaider of the couch so much easier.

My sisters tried to help out. The 14yr old had 0 sleep last night after a sleepover, so gave up raking after two rakes, and stuggled to get a hand fork into the soil. She loved hunting for frogs and ladybirds though.

My barbie doll hairdresser sister did rather well, considering the fake nails and hair extensions (lucky I had a spare pair of gardening gloves!!!). She loved her day 'being at one with nature', although I did have to stop them from throwing worms at each other.

thebear

Progress update
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 21:32 »
Dont throw any plants away. Give them to your neighbouring plot holders if you must, and you might get something in return from them one day.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Progress update
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 22:14 »
Looks like you're making really good progress.

Take care not to take too much soil off the top when you remove the turves.  You don't want to leave yourself with only a few inches of decent soil before reaching subsoil  :?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

r1bazza

Progress update
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07 »
Allotment adventure playgroundond :lol: ;looking good though Fern,i'd keep the Rhubarb and bushes though just to see how they do have you decided on raised beds or not?,oh and did the dog help at all?
Once upon a time I could control myself

xx
Progress update

Started by moggy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 11:55
by moggy
xx
progress update march

Started by R66VEY on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 13:05
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Update

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2006, 22:17
by Phoenix
xx
Update from me

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2006, 17:13
by SweetPea

Page created in 0.812 seconds with 36 queries.