Ex-battery hen - sudden death (ish)

• 25 Replies

R Fox

« on: January 14, 2009, 15:25 »
Hi there

Wondered if anyone could help me out.  I have four ex-battery hens that i rehomed in November last year.  They have all blossomed in free-range environment and are different girls to those that arrived.

Yesterday, one of the bigger - and healthier looking - of the hens didn't go in to roost with the others and was huddled up outside.  So I put her in nesting box, and this morning she was still there, but listless and not interested in food.  She did move out and sit on roost, so I left her to it.  When i went in to check on her at lunchtime she was lying on floor dead :(

The other hens are all running around and perky - they seem fine - but I am worried about what could have caused such a sudden demise, and worried for the health of the other hens.  We are clearing the pen out now just in case.

These are my first hens - I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what might have happened to her - and what measures i should put in place for the remaining three - if any.

Many thanks

Rosie

karlooben

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 16:46 »
hi there R fox. sorry about your lose , but i have had this twice now with my ex batts { had them since august last year } .
i dont think there is much that can be done except the usual of good hen keeping { clean water , bedding ,feed etc etc } its just something that happens .
but if u notice any of them sneezing or what seems like wheezing an coughing then i would suggest u get them on anitbiotics as soon as poss, mine have had colds twice now  although most got over it i still have one or two that are not sounding rite but are completely fine in them sleves , an i had 1 that died on new years eve from the cold that hit her hard and another is going to be culled by a friend of mine as her eyes went all weepy again an her face was still to swollen even after the antiboitics.

someone else will come along soon and give more advice .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 16:51 »
They've had a hard life and it takes its toll on them.

She could have died from a number of reasons, egg bound, stroke, heart attack to name a few possibilities.

Just ensure your hygiene is good and feel pleased that you gave her a fantastic end to an otherwise miserable life  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 17:31 »
Hi R Fox. Welcome and well done for carign for them. :)

Just to second what Aunt Sally says. Unless you can see a probable cause, could be lots of reasons.

Rob 8)

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 21:22 »
We got  ex batts last March, got them back to full health and our favourite one died suddenly a few months later, she didnt seem ill beforehand. I would just think what a lucky chicken you had, she got to see daylight and be a normal chicken for a while.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 00:00 »
yup as the others say ex batts have had a tough old life and release can add to the stress as it were.Quite a few of mine have died suddenly(ex batts that is). Nothing you can do about it  unless there is an obvious symptom.
Just remember your little girl had a few months of freedom and fresh air with plenty of love.

Knight Family

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:48 »
all i can say is Ii agree with everyone else, it happens but at least they had a nice retirment home.

We work on the thought that even if they pop off 1 day after ariving then its still bette than were they were going.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:20 »
its not just ex-bats -I had 2 beautiful faverollles hens drop dead, no answers even after the PM. Very sad :(

R Fox

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 14:51 »
Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies.

Just to update you - the other three hens are all in fine spirits and seem healthy enough, so at least it was unlikely to be something contagious.

I will just have to be grateful that she did have a few months of freedom, and make sure that i rehome some more ex-batts this year - they really are a joy to watch with the transformation.

And - even better, they are all finally laying eggs again after zero eggs for first couple of months!

Thanks again

Rosie

Julie in Somerset

Ex batt, sudden death
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:00 »
:cry: I adopted 4 ex batts last September. One was a lot worse than the others and I got  very involved with her to try to prevent the bullying and give her a better life. She regrew her feathers after 8 weeks and even worked out how to live with the others - up to a point. Then I found all huddled up and she died within 2 days despite a visit to the vet. If it was just the cold could I have done anything. Has anyone brought one back? I am feeling so bad, please help

linzechris

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:49 »
Don't feel bad. Exactly the same happened to me. I adopted ex batts last August and one that I called Hattie was bullied very badly. I tried everything and she did seem to get along a bit better but it was very sad. I hand fed her alot and when I gave mine extras and treats I would stand with them while they ate to make sure Hattie got her fair share.
However she got ill and although I thought she was I did not realise how bad it was and she died on New Years Eve and I cried because I had really taken her to heart. She meant alot to me and even now I feel sad and as if I let her down. If only there was something I could have done, and I'm sure there might have been but I am inexperienced and she was weak, which is why she got picked on, BUT we can only do our best and what we think is right at the time.
We probably love them more because they are weak and at least both your lovely hen and my Hattie were well loved and would have died much sooner hanging upside down and frightened, and would never have felt grass under their feet.
I now have a book titled The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow which is very good. It's worth buying.
Christine J Jeavons

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 13:49 »
i rehomed 58 ex barn hens in May last year (also got 2 cockerals Jake and Elwood to keep them company)
29 hens and jake got taken by a fox or foxes after only a month of freedom (he must have thought all his christmasses had come at once and had a killing spree down the cowsheds)
1 hen got kicked in the head by my horse
1 got it's head bitten off by Casper when it tried to pinch his bone (it won't do that again and neither will Casper)
1 died unexpectedly in the hen house during the night
1 died sunbathing in the garden
i now have 27 left, i know it should be 26 and have no idea where the last one came from, now they all have their feather duvets it's impossible to tell who's who, although i still know which ones are Lonely, Pauline, Fat Lois, Elvera, Mildrid Peirce, Precious Pie, Joanna, Ginger, Tuptim, and Goldie, who the rest are is anybody's guess.
The farmer i got them from is having another turn around in May, i'm trying to keep my hands firmly in my pockets..........................

too many girls

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 13:52 »
well, i might just get 10..................

too many girls

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 13:52 »
although, 12 seems like a nice round number..................

too many girls

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 13:58 »
maybe just 15?

xx
Sudden Death!!!

Started by hannah on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 17:12
by kimT
xx
Sudden Death

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 16:08
by barley
xx
Sudden Death!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 21:21
by nettynoodles1
xx
Hen's sudden death

Started by freddiesmiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 15:12
by Alby

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.