Help! Not broody but ill

• 24 Replies

linzechris

Help! Not broody but ill
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:28 »
Thought my Alice was broody but have just lifted her off and she has no egg and she feels quite warm and has a diarreah (cant spell that).
Lost my little Hattie on New Years Eve and she had diarreah too. Someone please tell me what the best thing is to do, I don't want to lose another girl.
By the way I felt underneath her and she does not seem to have an egg stuck or anything.
Christine J Jeavons

Vember

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:39 »
Hi Linzechris

Does the poo look like any of the ones in this link?
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=17568

Do you have any poultry friendly vets near by??

Sarah :)

linzechris

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:48 »
Yes, quite like the watery one, but she was eating ok yesterday so I don't think it's lack of food but she is definately hot.
I got her out of the nesting box just now and carried her out on to the grass and gave her some corn and cooked pasta which is her favourite. She ate a tiny amount then went back in. Normally I'm not able to pick her up as she runs away and gets stressed if I try so she is definately off colour. Also as my other girl had very similar symptoms and died I'm really worried. In fact Hatties poos were much the same.

linzechris

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:55 »
Sorry didn't see the last bit of your post. I don't know if there are any because when Hattie got ill I thought she would get better and did not contact a vet and I don't have any other pets.
There are lots of chicken farms round here where I live which is how I got my girls in the first place but the general opinion round here is that if a chicken isn't well than kill it, but that is out of the question unless there is really nothing else that can be done and it's for the best, but I couldn't do it. When I got upset about my Hattie dying everyone thought I was totally crazy!

Vember

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:55 »
Just a few other things yoou can check over, there a couple of things it could be - these will hopefully help to find out what they aren't :)

Does she look as if she is gasping?
Does her breathing sound ok - no rattles ?
If you hold her are you able to smell around her mouth nostrils, what does that smell like - no smell is good a rank nasty smell isn't so good.

Has she laid at all in the last couple of weeks?
What was her egg like texture of the shell normal? Was the white more watery than normal?

Vember

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:02 »
There is a list of vets here
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=26140

My Geography ain't all that good so couldn't say if there is one near you :)

Jellyhead

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:09 »
Fingers crossed she will be okay. Wont  add anything constructive cos I know Vember is the bestest to help sort it :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

linzechris

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11 »
Just been out to look, no rattles or smelly breath or gasping. Still sitting in her nest box and letting me touch her.
I do get the occasional soft shell egg although I do give my girls oyster shell and they mostly free range in my garden which is about half an acre or they are in the penned area which is about 50 square feet, so they must get grit from the ground as well.
Funnily enough there were TWO soft shell eggs in their house when I opened the pophole this morning which is when I noticed Alice sitting in the nesting box and not coming out.
I don't really know who lays what but I have been getting three normal eggs a day from three hens, even yesterday.

linzechris

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15 »
P.S. I do however get a watery white from one (or more) of them fairly frequently, is that a sign of anything wrong? Also I bake with my eggs as well as eating them on their own, even the watery ones as I do not know which ones they are untill I start to eat it.

Vember

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:31 »
Do you know if they were vaccinated when they were chicks?

The symptoms you describe are similar in my opinion to infectious bronchitis.
If it is this then it doesn't always kill the bird and a bird that recovers will then carry immunity to the disease.

A good disinfectant can get rid of the virus, give the house a good scrub out with jeyes or similar.

If it were me I would fetch the sick bird out and give her plenty of TLC - make sure she has access to food & water :)

Or you could try a vet :)

Vember

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34 »
Oh an birds that lay soft shelled eggs do tend to look very depressed if that's the right word just before they lay :(

The soft shelled eggs really seem to zap them of energy - so it might just be that there is another on the way :)

linzechris

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 10:37 »
Thanks Vember for the advice. I will give the coop a good scrub although I do clean it out every week and disinfect properly every two weeks and weekly when it's warm.
I will bring her inside and keep an eye on her although I think I might ring a vet to be on the safe side.

Vember

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 10:43 »
It is probably best - it will put your mind at rest :)

Hope she picks up for you :)

Hawkins

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 11:12 »
hope Alice gets well soon, keep us updated
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

linzechris

Help! Not broody but ill
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37 »
Thanks, she has just laid an egg, not soft shelled but is no better. wont even drink water. The strange thing is that her eyes are bright and she's not floppy at all just wont get up or anything.

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 37 queries.