Basic tools

• 14 Replies

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« on: January 11, 2009, 17:42 »
Hi all,

I need some advice regarding basic gardening tools.

We have a local Homebase which sells a range of "Essential (tm)" tools, which I take to be the equivalent of Tesco Value brand.....

Spades and forks for £7 and trowels and handforks for £1.50... anybody know if they are any good or are they false economy?

Their regular brand forks and spades are £13 and the handtools £8... better value? Any good?

I'll loath to spend £30 on a single premium brand spade or fork, tight person that I am.

shaun

Basic tools
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 20:38 »
try a car boot sale 1st.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Basic tools
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 20:42 »
Or ask on freecycle I got a lovely stainless steel fork off there.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

MoreWhisky

Basic tools
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 21:24 »
Car boot sales seem good to me got  good sturdy rake today for £3 , went to homebase to and there own brand rake for £7 didnt seem to be as good.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 18:14 »
OK, got a pair of secateurs from B&Q for £7. Pretty poor quality, dont expect them to last too long.

Also got a set of three cutting tools from Hombase, secateurs, hedge scissor things, and a lopper all for £14. All pretty good quality, most satisfied with them!

Next up is a fork and spade, but that can wait till I have waged a war of annihalation on the brambles  :twisted:

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 18:57 »
I would think second hand if you don't want to spend money. I expect tools to last forever though.

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 19:17 »
Quote from: "PinkTequila"
I would think second hand if you don't want to spend money. I expect tools to last forever though.

Very hard to find second hand round here... Tools should last a lifetime, except for secateurs.. my grandad has loads of them, they always get knackered after a couple of years so went for some cheapies anyway. The metal Homebase ones seem pretty solid though. They should last a bit.

Thinking of spending a bit on the fork and spade though... heavy duty work.... probably false economy to buy cheap stuff....

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 18:33 »
I have bought a couple of spades from ebay, very well made, less than £20 will last forever, made by Elwell.

I use Felco secateurs that I got free with a magazine subscription, they should last forever as they can be done up etc

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Basic tools
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 19:51 »
We've got a weekly 'flea market' on our usual market site, with a regualr tools stall. Is there one where you are? Theres some real bargains to be picked up sometimes
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

Basic tools
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 20:30 »
And if you still can't decide, find a shop that sells high quality tools and have a very good look at them. Check how the joints are done, the heft of the 'blades', what the stock is made of, shape of handles, any ergonomic ideas, etc.
Then see if you can find similar quality stuff elsewhere, at the suggested boot sales, ebay, etc. Now you know what to look for and will enjoy good quality tools that make the job easier.

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 17:50 »
Quote from: "peapod"
We've got a weekly 'flea market' on our usual market site, with a regualr tools stall. Is there one where you are? Theres some real bargains to be picked up sometimes

Very few plot on site are occupied. I think I now know why.

Go here

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=tw18+1xb&countryCode=GB#map=51.43054,-0.49516|16|4&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:51.42971:-0.49919:16|tw18%201xb|TW18%201XB

Now look at the allotment site just to the north east, along the A308. Zoom in and switch to aerial shot, just next to HMP Bronzefield... notice anything in the site that prolly shouldnt be in an allotment site? Yup.

Luckily they never went through with whatever they were going to do there. Goes striaght through my lottie as well. Oh well, less brambles to clear anyway!

Luckily two other lotties have been taken on that go right over it. Reclaim the streets, eat your heart out, and god save the credit crunch!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Basic tools
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 17:56 »
Sorry I didnt make that clear, I meant our local town market not a lotty market. We dont have any shops on our lotty site

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 17:59 »
Quote from: "peapod"
Sorry I didnt make that clear, I meant our local town market not a lotty market. We dont have any shops on our lotty site

We do have a local market, there have been some tool stalls there before, but never paid much attention... will have a look next time.

FCG

Basic tools
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 22:55 »
Old tools are the best. I inherited mine but flea markets are the best. I'm looking for a new rake and hoe. The two i have recently broke at the same time but being 50+ i'll let them off with it.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Basic tools
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 16:21 »
Carboot sale is the number 1 place to go.  There is usually the good old tools that will last your lifetime and possibly your children's!

I got a spade for £1, a fork for a £1, hoe for 50p and it cost me £1 to get in.

xx
As a complete newbie what basic equipment do I need?

Started by debih on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 14:43
by andtiggertoo
xx
what tools do I need?

Started by subeyman on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 19:11
by Eatyourgreens
xx
old tools

Started by griff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 19:47
by Trillium
xx
what tools do you have and what's the most useful to you?

Started by MJS on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 07:52
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 31 queries.