Should I be seeing my garlic yet?

• 36 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 21:08 »
I think mine aren't going to do anything and I put loads of garlic and onion sets in.  I put them in a bit late though, 25th November.  No green shoots showing at all.

I feel pretty disappointed but its my own fault for leaving so late.  I may have to start again and buy more sets....
Teen

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 21:42 »
I planted 'Marco' November 15th in various spots around the garden, the tallest is about 6/7" inches in a sheltered bit next to the house, in some parts it's only 1" though. The bit near the house also got compost added - I don't know if it's that or the slightly warmer temp that made the difference.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 21:57 »
I'm sure something like frost or something happened that same night after planting, can't remember now.

Plus I'd left them in the shed for ages before planting them.  It always takes me a while to pull my finger out and do something.  I'll learn one day to do it straight away.  I just wanted to get the ground prepared, and also had to wait for it to be less wet and it was still wet when I planted them.

I don't really want to spend more, but that's a price for being slow I suppose.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 21:59 »
You could dig one up a bit and see what's going it - might just be bidding it's time :)

SkipRat

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 22:37 »
Dont panic, they,ll show themselves when there ready to play outside  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 22:40 »
Do you really thinks so SkipRat?  I hope so.  That would be cool.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  The weather is warming up a bit now, lets hope it kick-starts them into growing (or a kick up the roots).

Are you a skip rat because you go skip diving?  I wish I had the nerve to do that.  I could get loads of wood for my plot if I did that.

SkipRat

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 22:51 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
Do you really thinks so SkipRat?  I hope so.  That would be cool.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  The weather is warming up a bit now, lets hope it kick-starts them into growing (or a kick up the roots).

Are you a skip rat because you go skip diving?  I wish I had the nerve to do that.  I could get loads of wood for my plot if I did that.

I do go Skipdiving.. :D  mind you as I,m getting a bit older, I struggle at times to get back out of em... :lol:  :lol:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 22:58 »
Yeah I bet, not good when you haven't asked permission and the owner is chasing you ha ha  :lol:

Perhaps I'll get into it.  My new year's resolution was to learn how to make and get things for free.  Skip diving seems to fit into that category.

I did do a spot of skip diving at my place of work which I suppose doesn't really count.  You wouldn't believe the amount of chicken wire I got out of there.  There was a whole roll of the stuff in there worth at least £20 I reckon.  Amazing what people throw away!

Talking of categories, I don't think this subject fits into growing onion problems does it ha ha

Wheelchair Gardener

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 07:24 »
Just outside Nottingham, we planted our garlic in November, in raised beds, we planted 23, and they are all present and correct, the weather has been dull & quite dry, not that much rain.

wighty

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 20:46 »
Well I haven't even put mine in yet.  Must be the air down here because I still have a large Nescafe jar of chopped garlic from 2007 left and five from 2008.  I do have garlic to plant this year but am wondering whether I need to!

johndf1

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 21:11 »
If you ate as much as my son does you would definitely need to plant them!

Weaver

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 21:36 »
Planted mine October 17th, thought I'd messed up by totally peeling them!  :oops: Therefore I didn't expect any to grow but most are between 2-3 inches.  :D

rink123

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 23:13 »
Well i have not got none in my garden yet  :(  so i am going down to the woods ,and dig some wild up and plant it just to see how it goes  :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 13:14 »
Just been down the garden to look.  We planted just 20 in our little garden, 4 or 5 are just starting to poke through.  They are in the more sunny end of the flower bed.  I expect they'll be alright.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

polly tunnel

garlic
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 14:00 »
johndf1 that is just showing off. I planted mine in November and nothing so far!
it is the first time I have tried growing my own and I think they know it.

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic ???

Started by G*R*O*W*M*A*N on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2007, 23:59
by king cauli

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 36 queries.