STARTING SEEDLINGS

• 24 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
STARTING SEEDLINGS
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:46 »
Hi all
        Has anyone started planting seeds in the greenhouse yet  if so what veg can be started now. Thanks   Michael :?

Clampit

STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:57 »
I have started my onion seeds off on the windowsill, I don't have a greenhouse.
My leeks and sweetpeas will be going in soon.
I believe some people start tomatoes off about now, but don't quote me on that one.

woodburner

Re: STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:03 »
Quote from: "Michael D"
Hi all
        Has anyone started planting seeds in the greenhouse yet  if so what veg can be started now. Thanks   Michael :?

I would start my asparagus seed in the (cold) conservatory if I could find the pesky things! It's keeping my globe artichoke seed company somewhere but they don't need sowing til Feb at the earliest.  
I don't think there's much else to be sown before March unless you heat your greenhouse, but i'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along soon. ;)

Edit: Cross post ;) I stand corrected.  :lol:
I suppose, thinking about it a bit more, anything that is winter hardy could be started now?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

MoreWhisky

STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42 »
ah seems a good idea starting them off on the window sill clampit, anything else could do with starting? as im off to buy some seed trays  :)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Clampit

STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:53 »
Like I say, i'll be starting my leeks and sweetpeas off. I suppose you could start some broad beans off in your greenhouse in pots, but you may be better to wait until the end of Jan. I have broad beans (aquadulce claudia)in my plot now which I planted in November.

Sorry about the rubbish photo, it was taken this morning and it was still a bit dark.
I'll be weeding when it's dry enough for me to walk on the soil. :D
A few of the leaves have blackened due to the hard frosts, I've never protected them and they are very exposed, so all in all i'm very pleased with them so far.
P.S You'd be better off starting broad beans off in paper pots, there is a topic on here which shows you how to make them (somewhere.)

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=11390
Found it. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 13:57 »
Wo nedddy slow down there's no rush yet  :shock:  

I'm an oldish hand at this lark and your biggest problem your going to face is lack of light levels making them leggy, too much warmth make's them leggy and weak, a real hard cold night can kill seedlings even on a window sill, too much humidity and you'll get fungal growth.
And then where are you going to keep all these plants as they get bigger 30 or 40 seedlings will need a fair amount of room as they grow to prevent problems, even if you have a heated greenhouse are the extra heating costs really worth it ?
Your better of in my experience waiting until it's the right time, February is the coldest month. Some crops can be sown now but need the correct environment, think ahead  :D

Sorry for being a kill joy but it's better than being disappointed.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 14:03 »
I'll make two suggestions....

Firstly, listen to Richy.

Or, secondly, read all the sob stories from early last year.

Either way - the moral's the same.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 17:19 »
Well said Richy and DD.

Work with nature not against it. Wait for the weather and soil to be right. All this talk about natural organic production and then we try to force plants to do what is not natural.

MoreWhisky

STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 17:26 »
looks like i best wait abit then  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 19:41 »
Aunty's still in hybernation.  Not planting anythin yet  :shock:

titch

STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 20:05 »
ditto Aunty, waiting for some warmer weather ................. as its our first year, am listening to the advice of the old hands and biding my time.

What i am finding is that this time of year is frustrating, wanting to get going but not time yet, consoling myself with planning and perusing the seed catalogues
just keep breathing................

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 20:06 »
agree with richy, tried starting early and as he says they get leggy and fall over and u end up chucking them - waste of seed, even if they do survive the seeds planted later will be much better plants than ones planted now....its worth the wait im sure we are all itching to get cracking but have to hang on for a bit.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 20:09 »
I'm itching to get started too  :roll:  :lol:  I know I shouldn't and I won't but ... still want to.

How about growing cress on the window sill ? that's my desperate times measure or if you fancy germinate some mung beans etc for sprouts.  :D

fatbelly

STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 21:00 »
A newbie next to my plot has already started his seeds off in his heated greenhouse. Absolutely no need to get anything going for another 8 weeks. The only thing I will be planting before then is perhaps shallots in mid Feb, Broad beans around the same time, everything else can wait until March / April.

Be patient nature has been doing this for tens of thousands of years and it knows what to do.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
STARTING SEEDLINGS
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 21:56 »
I've carrots, spring onions & peas outside and two sweet peppers, three radishes and four carrots inside. I like having green stuff growing even if everyone else thinks I'm crazy :D

xx
Is it worth starting off lettuce seedlings in wee pots ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 21:24
by chrisnchris
xx
starting out...

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 15:43
by Christine
xx
Starting up

Started by Digger on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 16, 2006, 10:47
by John
xx
Starting out!!!

Started by Claypit on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 17:28
by Claypit

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 37 queries.