Cheap Fruit Trees

• 10 Replies

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
Cheap Fruit Trees
« on: January 10, 2009, 22:52 »
Popped into Tesco to pick up some sugar for jam making, anyhow.... I noticed they had quite a large selection of fruit trees - including various varieties of pear and apple, cherry and Victoria Plum for £7 each.  They all looked quite healthy.  :D
Are we nearly there yet?

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:42 »
Think lidl will probably have some more this year and theirs are only £4 each.
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 14:27 »
Are these cheap trees worth buying though?

What is the quality of the fruit like? Do they give a good crop?

I plan to buy some fruit trees in the spring, is it a case of you get what you pay for?
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

jannie

• Experienced Member
Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 15:30 »
i have put some expensive friut tree's in before,and my f i l has planted me quite a few trees from lidl over the past few years and had some really good crops of them and i cant say the expensive trees had more fruit although one downfall i will say they are not always what they say on the label we have planted two so called cooking apple's and neither are both eater's so if you want certain named fruit trees then you might be disapointed jan :)

madcat

Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 15:51 »
I bought a bargain, clearing the shelves, necterine about 14 months ago for £2.50 from instore.  Planted it in a tub and it is thriving.  Lovely flowers last year and set lots of fruit.  I took them off as it was its first year to give it time to establish.  Really pleased with it. :)

Just one small problem - it's a peach!   :D   But hey, same growing conditions and prettier flowers!  Who cares?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Babstreefern

Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 16:41 »
I bought a plum tree from Morrisons about 8 years ago for my garden - not had anything off it.  I was a bit green on this and now realised you may need to have two for fertilsation.  

I now have an allotment and bought apple and cherry trees, which are self pollinated, and producing the goods.  I bought them from a nursery at a cost of £13 each, which wasn't bad as the garden centres were charging on average £16/17.
Babs

Trillium

Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 17:00 »
The price of the tree isn't the problem; the variety is. Not all tree fruits are good for any sort of cooking. Some varieties are strictly for fresh eating, others are good keepers, some cook beautifully, others are horrid when cooked. You need to be familiar with the varieties on offer and what you'd like to do with them. Google some variety sites to know what you want and whether or not they need cross pollinators (some apples and pears also need pollinators).

Tree health is mostly dependent on how you grow it and any diseases that may be present in your area.

dade

Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 17:37 »
there's an old saying, you pay for what you get! did any of the staff at tescos/lidl/morrisons versed to giving any info regarding varieties, pollination groups, cultivation tips etc. buy from a reputable supplier such as your local INDEPENDANT garden centre. :x

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 18:46 »
Quote from: "dade"
there's an old saying, you pay for what you get! did any of the staff at tescos/lidl/morrisons versed to giving any info regarding varieties, pollination groups, cultivation tips etc. buy from a reputable supplier such as your local INDEPENDANT garden centre. :x

+1

If you dont support the indies, then all there will be in 10 years time is Tescos.  :evil:

FCG

Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 21:17 »
Quote from: "jonewer"

+1

If you dont support the indies, then all there will be in 10 years time is Tescos.  :evil:

You read reddit by any chance?

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Cheap Fruit Trees
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 21:30 »
Quote from: "FCG"
Quote from: "jonewer"

+1

You read reddit by any chance?

Lolz... er what is reddit?

Actually, arch-gruaniadista Monbiot is probably the biggest mainstream cheerleader for lotties and ye olde englishe apple treese. Much as I find him insufferably un-readable...

xx
Cheap Fruit Trees

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 12:18
by gillie
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 1.385 seconds with 36 queries.