Cox`s Apple tree question

• 15 Replies

CarlC

« on: January 10, 2009, 16:50 »
Hey all
First off i`d like to say that this forum is way busier than what it was when i first joined it so that`s good, and congrats.

Ok on to my question, on my allotment when i get it finished or more less finished, i`m planning on doing a thing for my dad, it going to be like to big swuare wooden boxs and inside on the left side there`ll be a coxs apple tree and on the right a cherry tree, (and then on either side of them i`m planning on putting a frushia and freshias or freshias and a rose plant.)
So that`s my question is it possible to get a cox`s apple tree, and if you can do you have to have a female and a male together or can it just be one tree.

Cheers for any help.

Carl
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.

Chief Seattle, 1854

vegikev

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 17:06 »
hi there
cox is widely available, but you do need a pollinater for a cox  but if you only want 1 tree then you could graft a pollinator to it ie discovery, spartan or james grieve are just a few of many that you could use :D
hope this is of use to you.
"mission"to grow bigger veg than my brother

CarlC

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 17:12 »
Quote from: "vegikev"
hi there
cox is widely available, but you do need a pollinater for a cox  but if you only want 1 tree then you could graft a pollinator to it ie discovery, spartan or james grieve are just a few of many that you could use :D
hope this is of use to you.

Ok thanks alot mate, that`s helped cleer it up more, but just 1 more thing,
Quote from: vegikev
but if you only want 1 tree then you could graft a pollinator to it
what do you mean?

Thanks again

Carl

vegikev

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 17:27 »
hi
basically you can take a cutting from a discovery and add it to the cox tree as a graft they both bloom at the same time and pollinate each other, end result a tree that produces cox apples but the graft will produce dicovery . i will try and find a link for  grafting.

do you allready have the tree. what is your location

CarlC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 17:30 »
hi
basically you can take a cutting from a discovery and add it to the cox tree as a graft they both bloom at the same time and pollinate each other, end result a tree that produces cox apples but the graft will produce dicovery . i will try and find a link for  grafting

oh sweet i think i`ve got it now so you just graft like the James Grieve tree which is the one i`ll be growing if i can get me hands on it i think, to the coxs one and the trees will pollunate each other so you/i will have both coxs and JG. correct?

Your a saint mate, thanks a million. :D

vegikev

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 17:34 »
spot on.

vegikev

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 17:41 »
if you are getting a jg and a cox then you wont need to graft. you only need to graft if you want just 1 tree

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 18:01 »
Hmm have you got a link to anywhere that says what trees need what for pollination?

I have Monarch, Cox, Laxton, can't remember what sort but something might jog my memory, also a Russet but no idea what sort. They will all be gone in a year or two except for what I choose to propagate, except for the Monarch.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

vegikev

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 18:08 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Hmm have you got a link to anywhere that says what trees need what for pollination?

I have Monarch, Cox, Laxton, can't remember what sort but something might jog my memory, also a Russet but no idea what sort. They will all be gone in a year or two except for what I choose to propagate, except for the Monarch.

ok , acording to my book.laxton is group c, egremont russet is group a, cox is group b. a being early flower and c being mid to late flower.
cant find monarch in my book and sorry i dont have a link :D

CarlC

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 18:23 »
if you are getting a jg and a cox then you wont need to graft. you only need to graft if you want just 1 tree

So what do you do if you don`t have to graft, do you just put them in a pot or whatever next to each other? or do you have to do something else?

vegikev

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 18:29 »
yep but if they are young then put them 4ft apart max

CarlC

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 18:30 »
Ok mate thanks a million you`ve helped me lots.I`ll leave you alone now :lol:

vegikev

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 18:31 »
glad to be of help :D  :D  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 19:30 »
Carl, I don't know where you actually are in England, but Coxes don't tend to do well in the north; you should look for a different type of russet (I think they are).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

CarlC

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 19:34 »
I`m in oxford mate, the whole reason i`m growing or wanting to grow coxs is because my dad liked them more than anyother apple, and he used to complain about other apples and it used to make me laugh sometimes  :lol: and he passed away last feb when i was 17 and i got my allotment about september time i think, and so it`s my way of like making a memorial to him.Plus in the house i was born in he used to have an apple tree and a cherry tree and i always remember picking the cherrys and having on like a sunday for a pie, though i`d nick some and eat them as they were :lol:  well i was young wasn`t i :lol: Good Memories.

xx
another apple tree question

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 20:25
by splodger
xx
apple tree question

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2012, 11:39
by grendel
xx
Apple tree question

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 06:35
by jonewer
xx
apple tree question

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 15:49
by Trillium

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 36 queries.