Supporting poultry netting...

• 18 Replies

poultrygeist

« on: January 09, 2009, 11:00 »
We've decided we need to give our ladies some freedom. So rather than let them have the run of the 3 adjacent properties, we're plannign to get some "knotted string" poultry netting and give them a defined area.
Assuming I go for about 4-5ft high, what do you use for supporting it ?

Do you think8ft canes might do the trick, bearing in mind we have a dozy old dog who bumbles about and a cat who may try climbing (at her peril if she does!) ?

As far as predators go, we'd need to be vigilant. Unless we splash out on leccy fencing (won't be happening) I don't see any point in trying to keep them out, so may as well use something cheap but effective.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:09 »
I've used canes before with temporary netting works ok so long as the netting isn't too heavy for them.
Also used the netting poles from wilco's they have a spike on the bottom and a bit for you to clip the netting on to.
Depending on the area that needs to be covered it might be best going for them :?
Or may be get a couple of those to add some structure and use canes in between :?
Think they are about £1.50 at wilkos not 100% sure of that though :?

I doubt the cat will bother if there is a bit of give in the netting ours prefer the more ridged stuff for climbing up :lol:

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 13:05 »
I did think about those sort of poles but am I right in thinking they're about 3 or 4ft high.

I reckon even with clipped wings, they could jump 4ft if scared. We couldn't keep an eye on them all the time so would need to know they're kept in.

I suppose we could still use them up to that height to stop it sagging quite so much.

Trying to do it on the cheap, which always makes things difficult. :?

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 13:29 »
You can get some bigger ones Rob but I'm not sure of the cost :?
I think they were in the £2 -2.50 range - but don't quote me on that :D

The other thing we have used to great effect is branches about inch an half/2 inch thick. Hubby has buried them in the ground as far as possible and these have worked real well between the proper posts :D
Only problem there is finding some :lol:

Sarah :)

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 14:02 »
I have ramshackle rigs of fine plastic fruit netting and spare bits of horti. fleece on canes - about 3ft high but dipping a bit between canes. This protects my winter veg from depredation about 95%. I occasionally find a happy hen chucking spinach about but not often enough to worry me. I have three meadowsweet unclipped and two legbar clipped. They will all fly but it is more B42 than Harrier and have never even attempted to clear the five foot permanent mesh around their enclosure. They prefer to burrow through the bottom of the hedge for their escape parties.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 15:13 »
:lol:

I don't know how high they'd go but the graveyard next door isn't fenced properly and I don't want them scratching around in there. Might find something unpleasant  :shock:

I'll have a look in Wilkos next week Sarah. Thanks. Even 3 or 4 would help to sturdy it all up a bit. Need to decide what part of the garden we can let them attack. Julie wants her flower borders left alone but I'd like them to weed it all for us  :)

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 18:00 »
omg rob is asking us for advice  :lol:  i alaways thought it was u giving the advice rob  hehehee this post has shocked me .

anyways u could get eletric horse fencing posts  they are solid plastic with metal spikes on to keep then strudy in the ground an they last for years ., u can get them for about £20 or so for approx 10 posts but u can get them cheaper on ebay.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 18:04 »

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 18:54 »
Quote from: "karlooben"
have alook at these

http://www.farmcareuk.com/shop/shop.php?cat=12&maincat=3&sid=sid232cbf2858c3807c123bd9621fafd165

if it works that is

I use them to add tautness to my to eletric mesh.  They should do the job. But Rob I would suggest you get eletric netting as this will be safer.  Mr Fox has jumped over my eletric fenceing when the battery died and got two girls.  But has not been back since the fencing is back on. That has been nearly two weeks.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 20:10 »
I would LOVE leccy fencing but the cheapest setup is about £200 and we have a budget of about 20p. :roll:  ..well maybe £30.

I'm going to look in wilkos as per Sarah's suggestion, failing that I'll try for the leccy fence posts.If ever we buy any, at least we'll have a headstart. :)

And Looby. I ain't no expert!! :lol:

I just repeat what I was told last year. No idea what any of it means  :shock:

Thanks all for advice.

Rob 8)

FCG

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 20:16 »
Couple of thick posts at the strategic points with it taught and canes should work. When i say thick posts anything over a broomstick should do.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 20:23 »
Cheers FCG. One thing we'd like is to have it readily moveable for lawn mowing, etc (assuming grass remains).

And for it to be slightly less obtrusive than the duckling enclosure. The netting is black and fairly open so with fairly thin poles, it shouldn't look too bad.

Thanks anyway. :)

Rob 8)

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 20:37 »
Now there's an idea FCG - sharpen the end of some broomstick handles, stick 'em in the ground and hey presto! POSTS!!

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 20:48 »
i like that idea an broomsticks are well cheap  :)  even i may just give that i try , screwfix sell 5 handles for under a tenner if i remember rightly so there u go rob .

p.s laugh at u rob  can i say u make a good expert  or is that a cheat:lol:  :lol:

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 20:53 »
Definition of an expert ... a drip under pressure :tongue2:  :tongue2:

clip
Poultry fencing/netting

Started by Ema on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 21, 2020, 19:40
by greenjay
xx
Electric poultry netting and cats

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 19:28
by colliebird
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
Avice please over netting?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 20:23
by doodoo

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 37 queries.