:) 'ello! gardenless gardener....

• 7 Replies

jaYneTH

• http://www.fairmademusic.co.uk
« on: March 02, 2007, 02:55 »
Heya folks

have just joined the site, but have had my eye on it for a whiley. gleaning some tasty recipes & stuff - cheers!  Anyhoo, at the moment, I get my fruit & veg through a weekly organic box scheme, as I live in a block with a "communal" garden... when I first moved in here, I briefly entertained ambitious ideas about turning (part of) it into a community grow site, but have since found out it has to stay as it is..   :roll:  So.. my options are -

a)  the tiny wee flower bed outside the close door.  the bed is right up against the wall of the house, & currently has a few snowdrops & bluebells in it, plus a lot of groundsel & broad leaved willowherb,  the odd bit creeping buttercup.. its probably about 1ft by 7ft & facing northeast..

b) windowsills facing northeast & southwest & the shelves/hanging space roundabout them.

So I'm looking for suggestions to start me off.. I'm on the waiting list for an allotment, but round here it could be months before I get one, so it would be nice to make do with what I have in the meantime.. can anyone recommend some good plants/varieties for the limited space that I have?

Cheers!
jaYneTH :)
5 guitars, 4 tropical fishtanks, 3 cats, 0 televisions!

WG.

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:36 »
Herbs if you like them.  A small area can produce enough to make a real difference on your taste buds.   They prefer sunnier spots but several types will survive on morning sunshine which is what they'd get in the bed.  I can elaborate if herbs appeal to you.

Whereabouts are you in Scotland incidentally (approx)?  I am near Dufftown.

Oh, and a big welcome to the gang.

Ann

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:40 »
Hi

A few weeks ago I sowed salad leaves in a trough which fits on our kitchen window sill and they have done very well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:09 »
Hello jaYneTH, bit of a punkie way of writing your name, do u indulge in this fine music? anyways back to ur post, what about hanging toms from the basket, they produce loads and will keep u going all summer, salad crops dont need lots of room as ann mentioned and if u can get a bin put some new spuds in and keep toping up the soil as they grow.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ziggywigs

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 21:59 »
You could have a window box too with all sorts of salads in them.

Welcome from the Highlands!  

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 22:08 »
When I lived in a shoe box in London I grew some amazing windowsill tomatoes.  Had to drill screws into the walls and fix wires across to stop them flying off in the wind though.  But, they were prolific and extremely delicious.  On the other ledge I grew herbs which I used with the toms.  That was sooo satisfying given my location. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

WG.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 22:12 »
Quote from: "ziggywigs"

Got a giggle at your emoticon Ziggy but it will raise the usual question about what a Scotsman wears under his kilt.

The answer is a closely-guarded national secret but for a wee clue, click on the following link
http://www.4starscotland.com/images/scottish%20piper.jpg

jaYneTH

• http://www.fairmademusic.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:10 »
:D .

thanks folks, tomatoes & herbs sound great.. ooh, and salads!  i also like the idea of growing tatties in a bin bag, so might try that, too.. I'm lucky with the amount of light i get in here!  

I'm in Perthshire, for whoever it was who asked, nice to see so many Scots folks about.. oh, and I do like punky stuff, but then I also like classical, acoustic, metal, jazz.. pretty much anythiung if it has a soul.. which rules out most of the pop music!  :lol:

J. x

xx
Gardener

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 12:56
by Yorkie
xx
New alotment and new gardener!

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 00:33
by woodburner
xx
Gardener v cook

Started by Living in Hope on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 30, 2011, 06:55
by New shoot
xx
a rubbish gardener

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 19:45
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 37 queries.