Parafin heaters

• 5 Replies

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
Parafin heaters
« on: January 07, 2009, 13:46 »
I was lucky enough to find two parafin heaters in a box of junk. My greenhouse is 8x6. Obviosly they wont make the  greenhouse warm but they will keep the frost out, but what would that allow me to do? Does it mean I can put my seedling in the greenhouse rather than a window sill once the germinate? could I start some first early potatoes in the greenhouse in a bag?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Parafin heaters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 15:54 »
Yes
The only question would be, is worth the expense of the parafin? I personally would wait until the temps get higher and the light levels increase. If these frosts persist into may then your seedling are going to be sat in a pot for too long and you may find that later sowing will very quickly catch up and overtake your 3 month old seedlings.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Parafin heaters
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 18:41 »
Seeds also rely on the length of solar power (ie day length) they receive,not just the temp, so though sometimes it can be worthwhile starting them off early(ish). As Aidy says, the later sown seeds will probably do just as well if not better than the earlier sown

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
Parafin heaters
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 19:56 »
Oh I am not going for anything too early, I learned that lesson last year! I was more thinking about keeping the frost at bay in a greenhouse rather than using the window sills in the conservatory this year. We still need frost protection in march, which is when most of my seeds need planting. If it's not going to help then I may as well freecycle these heaters. It's just I dont think MrsSpudtheBinx will be too chuffed if the conservatory becomes a jungle again this march :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Parafin heaters
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 20:15 »
they will do the frost job no problem, as I mentioned just the cost aspect. Is your greenhouse insulated with bubble wrap? This normally is enough but his years frosts are a bit of a beast. I use my parafin heater in my shed on days like we are having, light it, shut the door and go in for a brew, nice and toastie. I would not get rid of them, there can be useful.

pushrod

Parafin heaters
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 20:36 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Yes
The only question would be, is worth the expense of the parafin? I personally would wait until the temps get higher and the light levels increase. If these frosts persist into may then your seedling are going to be sat in a pot for too long and you may find that later sowing will very quickly catch up and overtake your 3 month old seedlings.

+1

I once kept 20 pelargoniums alive over winter by heating the greenhouse with a parafin heater - what a waste of time and money  :oops:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

xx
should I put the parafin heater on?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 08:24
by strangerachael
xx
Parafin heater help!

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 17:00
by FRUITFULL
xx
Soaking peas in Parafin

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 21:06
by Sharonx
xx
Alternatives to keeping the seedling warm other than parafin and mains pwr

Started by Kevin S on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 17:44
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.987 seconds with 36 queries.