diy hen run questions.

• 6 Replies

slurp

diy hen run questions.
« on: January 05, 2009, 21:11 »
:D I have started thinking of building a hen house and chicken run i want to get 10 birds eventually probably warrens so guess i need a run 10ft by 10 ft does this sound right? secondly we have a badger set in the woods behind our house so thought of placing the run on a concrete base to stop anything digging into the run i thought about using 25mmx13mm galvinized wire mesh as this should keep the rats out.I will let the hens out to free range when we know we are there to shut them up at night they will only be shut in the run when we are away .I have read its best to keep there feed in their house or run but i guess they will need access to their nesting boxes and grain feeder  when they are free ranging so i am concerned the rats will appear then or do i remove the feeder and replace when i shut them in? Thanks in advance apologies for my dimness  :lol:

Vember

diy hen run questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 21:57 »
Hi Slurp

Can't help with the size I'm afraid :(  Maths, chicken to feet ratios & myself just don't mix :lol:

My birds all free range, I put just enough feed out (layers pellets) in the morning for them to scoff and then at about 4pm I give them some corn in a piece of plastic guttering. Any that is left come bed time I tip back into the bag :D
The secret to keeping rats away is basically don't leave any food down overnight :D I have been known to get the dustpan & brush out if the girls have tipped it up :lol: Another thing is feed them as out in the open as possible as rats love dark hidey holes and aren't as keen to run out into open spaces :D

Hope that helps a bit :? :D

Sarah :)

Bodger

diy hen run questions.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 22:02 »
Hi Slurp, 10 ft x 10 ft is far too small for that number of chickens. I'd use a 50 metre length of electric netting. This would give plenty of room for the hens and keep the badgers away. At a pinch, you might get away with a 25 metre roll.

Kate and her Ducks

diy hen run questions.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 22:17 »
The minimum recommended is 1 square metre run space per bird and 1 square foot coop space but I think most of us find that that is really a bare minimum and they need more than that to be happy and so that they don't trash it.
Mine have the bare minimum of space in the run but free-range in the garden most days. Like you mine are only locked in the run if I am not going to be back in time to lock them up (having already had one fox attack).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

diy hen run questions.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 22:44 »
I would go with Bodger's advice or, if you want to make a fully enclosed run, use that welded mesh and make it about 3 times that if you can. To stop digging, you can bury the mesh and place slabs around the outside.

Rob 8)

monarch

diy hen run questions.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:36 »
I agree with Vember re: rats, the rats love to have cover and food take one or both away and you will have less of a vermin problem...burying mesh around the perimiter is also a good idea as poltrygiest said this also gives an idea where vermin are attempting to "break in" so allowing control measures.
If you can't catch it grow it!!

slurp

diy hen run questions.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 13:36 »
Thanks for all your advice looks like i need a bigger run area or less hens

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Two odd questions........................

Started by cammi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 19:58
by Pertelotte
xx
Hi and a few questions.

Started by Andee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 16:28
by Chablis Dog
question
Poo help/questions?

Started by B_hibbert on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 21, 2012, 08:34
by Sassy

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 36 queries.