Potato yields

• 10 Replies

outmowed

Potato yields
« on: January 05, 2009, 19:46 »
Just wondering, having not grown potatoes before what yeild i will get from seeds i plant. I can just about fit in a 2.5kg bag of 1st earlys and a 2.5kg of mains.

I know all the variaties are different but could someone give me a idea please.  :?:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Potato yields
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 19:57 »
To be fair and it's one that comes up a lot, it's a bit like how longs a piece of string.
What varieties are you growing ? earlies produce less weight than main crop.
Try British variety database click on search and go from there.
However as a very rough guide a plot 20 ft x 20 ft could produce 200kg of maincrop spuds, but this would be based on high fertility and good watering at the required time.  :)

Welcome to the forums btw  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

AndyRVTR

Potato yields
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 19:59 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

However as a very rough guide a plot 20 ft x 20 ft could produce 200kg of maincrop spuds

Richy.. thanks for the info, but can you decipher that for us that deal in pounds and ounces?  :D  :D  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Potato yields
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 20:03 »
Quote from: "AndyRVTR"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

However as a very rough guide a plot 20 ft x 20 ft could produce 200kg of maincrop spuds

Richy.. thanks for the info, but can you decipher that for us that deal in pounds and ounces?  :D  :D  :D

Corr you lot  :lol:  2.2lbs to a kilo or if you look at it like I do 8 sacks of farmers size bags 25kg ( 55lb ) approx

outmowed

Potato yields
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 20:25 »
Cheers, been reading the site for about six months, just never bothered posting. dont know what im planting yet just have know idea what amount i'l get if everything goes well.

Salmo

Potato yields
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 20:36 »
What you would really like is a straightforward answer!

2.5 kg of seed is usually 25 seed potatoes.

Main crop you should get between 2 and 3 lbs per seed planted. Earlies will be eaten before they are fully bulked up so expect a little less.

Therefore if you plant 50 seed potatoes you should get between 100 and 150 lbs of potatoes. Could be less or could be more.

woodburner

Re: Potato yields
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:46 »
Thank you Salmo, I just did a search and your post has just the info I wanted :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:03 »
Because I have little storage space, this year i went just for a couple of types of earlies, maybe a row of each. The 2.5kg bag of Charlotte, 30 seeds, a row and a bit, fine; however the 2.5kg bag of Anya -80 seeds. That's rather more than I was expecting. I'm going to have to find room for a couple of extra rows now.

Charlie

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:04 »
Therefore if you plant 50 seed potatoes you should get between 100 and 150 lbs of potatoesCould be less or could be more!!!!- oh dear got carried away at the potato day at Garden Organic day last Sunday bought 70 seed spuds then got home and realised I had all ready ordered some vivaldi, picasso and druid online before Christmas- good job we like spuds - mind you still have two archive boxes full left from last year - anuone grown Moulin Rouge before? :D

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:32 »
Because I have little storage space, this year i went just for a couple of types of earlies, maybe a row of each. The 2.5kg bag of Charlotte, 30 seeds, a row and a bit, fine; however the 2.5kg bag of Anya -80 seeds. That's rather more than I was expecting. I'm going to have to find room for a couple of extra rows now.

Charlie

Yes the Anya go a long long way. I think next year they should be packed at 2kg when I see how many tubers are in the packs.
You could sell your extra tubers on Ebay :)
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 23:07 »
I've got a stack of them too, if you get 10 to the kilo then I've got 240 of them to plant !
 :wacko:

You could sell your extra tubers on Ebay :)

Good idea Iain, I sold too many last year and had to go and buy some more for myself

xx
New potato yields

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 16:02
by nipper31
xx
Potato yields

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 21:17
by Weessy
xx
Poor Gooseberry yields

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 23:08
by muntjac
xx
Poor strawberry yields

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 08:46
by gobs

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 36 queries.