Snow eating

• 9 Replies

Tessh

Snow eating
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:58 »
I let the chickens out this morning and one of them ignored the feed and the water and has spent the morning eating all the snow it could find. Its all gone now (the snow that is) and its finally eaten some pellets but is this normal or is there something wrong? (The lady in question is a white star about 6 months old)

Tess

Bodger

Snow eating
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:00 »
Curry last night :thumright:

Tessh

Snow eating
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:14 »
Well, if it was she didn't share with the others or me.

Lardman

Snow eating
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:38 »
Mine have been doing this too.  Its bizarre to watch.

Not the snow off the floor mind - only the snow thats wind blow and stuck to the bricks & wood.. I thought they might want water but they ignored both the warm and cold I put out for them.

desandchez

SNOW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 13:58 »
Let my girls out this morning and they took one look at the snow and decided they didnt like it and stayed under the covered section of there run.
When i sprinkled a little corn on the snow they soon plucked up courage, now they are all out in it

matilda duck

Snow eating
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 14:21 »
mine hessitated to come out when they saw the snow...their faces said it all.....but when they came out they started pecking each others beaks for the snow???? :roll:   You have to wonder about the intelligence of these birds some days.... They have had a great time in it and the snows still there.... Not sure who was the daftest..the girls for chasing each other round for the snow or me freezing watching them??? :shock:

karlooben

Snow eating
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 16:37 »
mine made me laugh  this morning at 6 am when i let them out , i think today was their frist proper time seeing snow an they were bewildled by it  :lol:  :lol:  they started scratching around as if to say someone has hidden the ground an they to ignored the feed for a few monents . but how bad do i feel , i have a large shed and i pin back one door with some wood an today the wind must of blown it shut so i had 12 girls trapped inside { thats not to bad they had food water an it was warmer then outside but i had the remaining 7 girls trapped outside in the cold for most of the day i assume an they had no water an its been really cold  :cry:  :cry:  i was cursing my self when i got there at 4 pm but now i am going to make sure the door is firmly tied back . all i could do was to keep on apologsing to them for 30 mins
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vickie & Richard

Snow eating
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 17:42 »
My girls were gobsmacked by the snow today, it didn't help that my son built a mini snowman right next to the run that freaked them out most the day.  I let them out this afternoon, they seemed to enjoy it, but i was concerned that would get frost bite on their legs, lol, i ended up putting them to bed early as they looked quite tired.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Snow eating
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 17:02 »
:D We have all eaten snow havent we? :oops:

I did remember to avoid the yellow stuff  :shock:
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Snowy Howells

Snow eating
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 17:51 »
:lol: My silly things were picking the bits of ice out of their water and chasing each other for them!  :shock:
Snowy xx
My Blog
1 OH, 3 sons & 14 chooks

xx
Snow

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 20:09
by evie2
xx
snow

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 18:05
by Jellyhead
xx
Oh no more snow

Started by Nails on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 09:59
by grumpydad
xx
Ducks and snow.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 12:03
by RichardA

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.