Wanted: what went wrong guide

• 13 Replies

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« on: January 03, 2009, 20:33 »
Does anyone know of a "what went wrong" guide for growing veg? Somewhere where you identify a symptom and it tells you what went wrong.
All the gardening books talk about pests and diseased but nothing tells me stuff where I might have done something wrong - like why my swedes are always tiny or my blackcurrants didn't fruit.
My mum used to have a recipe book called the awful cooks book which had several "what went wrong and how to fix its" for each common recipe eg yorkshire puds.
Is there a gardening equivalent?

SalJ1980

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 20:57 »
Dr. Hessayon's Vegetable Expert and Fruit Expert books have excellent disease/pest identifying and troubleshooting sections...
Sal

Organic...so far!

CHICKENGIRL

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 21:39 »
totally agree with sal - we have dr.hessayons  `expert` books (vegetable & herb, pest & weed and the garden expert)  and they are really good at identifying problems and giving you the explanations as to what caused it & how to rectify them.  

available at good bookstores & garden centres  rrp £7.99    :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 21:51 »
Yes, Doc Hessayon's books are good but make sure you get a recent copy.  I have an old one which is great for identification of problems but the damned EU has banned most of the chemicals he recommends.  It seems we now have to ask them all nicely if they wouldn't mind not damaging our crops. :roll:
Cheese makes everything better.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 23:05 »
Thanks, I'm not too bothered about pests and chemicals. I'm looking for things I've done wrong: over watered, under watered, planted too close, over pruned, needs more/less feed/sunshine etc
Some things I can work out for myself - when my 6ft high globe artichoke leaned over so far I had to prop it up I realized I'd planted it too close to the fence! But others leave me thinking "what did I do wrong?"
That troubleshooting section sounds like it might be what I'm after. I'll have a quick read if I can find it next time I'm in town!

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 23:25 »
You have some very good gardening brains on this site and many years of experience.

When you have a problem just post it on here and you will immedialely get several opinions. Usually conflicting but sometimes helpful.

Often the same problem is being experience by lots of growers, may be just the weather or and invasion of a pest. Always good to share.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 23:29 »
Perhaps we could have it as a sticky, and people could put down what went wrong for them , and why it happened?  And what they did the following year to prevent the same thing happening??

SalJ1980

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 10:35 »
Quote from: "CHICKENGIRL"
available at good bookstores & garden centres  rrp £7.99    :lol:

Or you can usually find them in charity shops for a quid or too, that's where I got mine!  :D

garddwr

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 11:23 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Perhaps we could have it as a sticky, and people could put down what went wrong for them , and why it happened?  And what they did the following year to prevent the same thing happening??

Great idea GrannieAnnie. Would it be possible for you to set one up ?

SG6

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 11:40 »
The problem is that all you can do is read up and then decide what might be causing the problem that you are having.

Roses get fungus diseases, often spread by aphids. What do you want to do, spray for fungus or spray for aphids? Either way you will be lucky to eliminate both. In neither case have you done anything wrong.

I grew a few orchids, if one dies then I usually find it can be for either of the following:
Too cold, too warm, too dry, too humid, too bright, too dull, too much watering, not enough watering. :D  :D  :D
Presently have one orchid that likes warmth and light, it is growing happily next to another that likes to be cool and shady. Both are happy. One has multiplied three fold and the other is about to flower. :shock:

As for your swedes, where are they, soil type, aspect, when did you sow, when did you plant out, when did you harvest, did you fertilise (what with?), what was in the ground last year. May be stupid question did you by chance pick a small variety(lots of them these days). Disease and pests will cause plants to be small so pests and diseases are relevant. So is there sign of pest attack or disease attack?

A Where did I go wrong list will have every option possible in it, usually contradictory reasons.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 12:48 »
Quote from: "Salmo"
You have some very good gardening brains on this site and many years of experience.

When you have a problem just post it on here and you will immedialely get several opinions. Usually conflicting but sometimes helpful.

Often the same problem is being experience by lots of growers, may be just the weather or and invasion of a pest. Always good to share.

I have to say a big thank you to Salmo for all the numerous posts you have answered in such a practical and straightforward fashion.   Your replies to questions are always very logical and make good sense; a big thank you!!!!!

A problem I had last season was with my first earlies; they boiled to mush within minutes of being in the pan.  Now apparently and it was by sheer chance I found this out, this problem arises when you leave them in the ground way past their proper time for harvesting.  Prior to this I was under the misapprehension that you could leave them in the ground (notwithstanding frost of course!) and harvest when necessary.  In my experience this is certainly not the case with first earlies  :roll:

As many say you truly do live and learn, and so a what went wrong guide is a good idea.  However, the GYO forum seems to act in this capacity already, especially with the good advice of people like DD and Salmo, the list goes on........
Adella  :D
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 13:45 »
Hum, its never straight forward, is it! I do find the advice on this site invaluable and usually I can find my answers by searching rather than posting - as you say we all have the same problems.
As for my swedes (as a former notherner I feel I must point out I'm using the southern term for the big purple and yellow things) the year before last I tried them in the root bed which was unmanured. I then found out they were brassicas and tried them in the brassica bed which was limed and had been maured the year before. I sowed in situe when the packed recommended. Both years I sowed snowball turnip which did fine. My main suspicion at the moment is that they were too close together  (about 10cm) also the foliage didn't get very big. I'll try wider spacing. Do you think they need a feed of some sort?

SG6

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 20:14 »
They can be sown that close together but when you do that the idea is that you harvest some when small and allow the remainder to grow on.
They can be left to over winter in the ground before harvesting, apparently they taste sweeter. :wink:

If you planted at 10cm and left them at the spacing then too close, they should get to around 8in dia which is 20cm.

They like firm soil, alkaline (limed) an acid soil can promote club root in them. Also they shouldn't be too wet - but that wouldn't make them small just dead :cry: They like a manured soil as well as they are fairly greedy.

Information I have says 10ins apart and 15ins between rows. Any chance that the 10cm should have been 10ins? :shock:

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 22:25 »
no, I did mean 10cm, and they didn't bulb out at all. Perhaps it was the lack of manure. If I use the well rotted stuff I think it would be ok with the lime I put in in the Autumn.

angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl
xx
Planting Guide

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 09:47
by dougsta
xx
guide to getting started

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 20:23
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
Brassicas - The idiots guide

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 14:55
by Mazzie

Page created in 1.274 seconds with 36 queries.