Home made cold frame - up-dated with finished pics

• 35 Replies

RichardC

• http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/phpBB2/
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 16:02 »
Quote from: "Lee G"
Roll on some decent weather so I can crack on without getting frostbite.

Decent weather! ... I was working on mine over the weekend outside in sub zero temperatures ... the cold just keeps the mind focused on what your doing  :wink:
My other Forums Lambretta related

RichardC

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 16:04 »
Quote from: "matthew2riches"
I put pea shingle in my cold frames as it retains the heat during the day and releases it during the night a bit like a storage heater.

Good idea Matthew. My intended location is graveled already, although with ceramic chippings rather than pea shingle. Wonder if that would work in the same way?

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 16:39 »
Quote from: "RichardC"

Decent weather! ... I was working on mine over the weekend outside in sub zero temperatures ... the cold just keeps the mind focused on what your doing  :wink:

I know, I'm a wimp  :lol:

Having said that, I've managed to blag a free van for the coming weekend, and have a new contact for free well rotted manure, and have been offered a free shed off freecycle provided I dismantle it myself, so I'm outdoors this weekend whatever the weather, otherwise I'll lose all those freebies, and as well as being a wimp, I'm also tight, and I'd rather catch a cold rather than lose out on a bargain!!

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 17:18 »
I put pea shingle in my cold frames as it retains the heat during the day and releases it during the night a bit like a storage heater.

Good idea Matthew. My intended location is graveled already, although with ceramic chippings rather than pea shingle. Wonder if that would work in the same way?

Well, they use ceramic in portable gas heaters what campers and fishermen use so I would have thought it would work the same way?

RichardC

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 17:18 »

I'd rather catch a cold rather than lose out on a bargain!!

:lol: I know what you mean ... I hate the fact that I have had to pay for the ally channels i'm using for the glass, was hoping to bring the cold frame in at zero cost. I was impatient to get it done though, so didn't want to wait around in the hope something suitable might come up on Freecycle.

RichardC

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 17:34 »

Well, they use ceramic in portable gas heaters what campers and fishermen use so I would have thought it would work the same way?

A good point well made! I will give it a go whatever, as I will have to displace some of the gravel to site the coldframe anyway.

RichardC

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 21:35 »
After what seems like a long time (I didn't get many chances to work on it) I today spent the whole day outside in the garden and have finished my coldframe, right down to a coat of green woodstain.

Sadly, it was 5:30 by the time I finished and to dark to take a photo, but I will try and take one tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day.

My aim was to make it without spending anything, but while all the timber and the glass was sourced free, I did have to pay for the ally rails that the glass panels run in (£8.99) and a bag of fencing nails for fixing the larch-lap cladding (£3.25). So a total spend of £12.24.

Going to put it in location tomorrow (weather permitting). It will sit at the front of the house, where it will get the most sun and be less at risk of being broken by the children.

Richard

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
coldframe floor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 22:15 »
I managed to scrounge some flooring polyurethane sheeting, its about 3" thick cut to size - sunk into ground - covered with off cuts of flooring ply a cut up old tarp sheet on top finish off with composted bark - I could goto sleep in there - its lovely and cozey!!
Death OR Cake ???

RichardC

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 11:50 »

Finished  8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 12:14 »
well done you... that's a really good looking cold frame :)

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 12:22 »
That is somthing to be proud of!

Well done!

(now build me one) :wink:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 13:47 »
Looks really really good Richard, a professional job indeed  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

RichardC

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 15:04 »
Many thanks for your comments. I am pleased with the result, but it was more luck than judgement, as it often is using 'reclaimed' timber.

It was one of those jobs where everything works out well. When I measured up the timbers for the frame, it obviously had to be sized to suit the glazed panels, but by luck each timber was the correct length for one long side and one short side. As there were more short lengths, the extra lengths left enough to do a long and a short up-right! Couldn't have planned it better.

I then got an old fence panel off freecycle and it had exactly enough larch lap boards to clad the frame! Did have to use a cracked one on the back, but I could live with that. Plus the framce took exactly 3 larch lap boards on the front and five on the back. The angled glazing shows up better on this pic :

The inside is lined for extra insulation with a double thickness of foamex board (plastic honeycomb panels - actually old estate agents for sale boards).

If my growing goes as well as this project I will be more than happy  8)

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 15:11 »
Yes OK, you can stop showing off now and build me one :wink:

No, seriously - GREAT JOB!

philskin

Re: Home made cold frame - up-dated with finished pics
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 13:58 »
thats very interesting about the pea shingle ,and of coarse it will act as a mulch as well help stop the soil drying out so fast,well done and thank you   phil :D
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

xx
greenhouse update-FINISHED- with pics

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 16:12
by garddwr
xx
Cold Frame

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 14:42
by noshed
xx
Cold Frame

Started by Praxxus on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 07:44
by pink aubergine
xx
What to with cold frame now

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 20:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 38 queries.