Home made cold frame - up-dated with finished pics

• 35 Replies

RichardC

• http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/phpBB2/
« on: January 02, 2009, 16:58 »
Happy New Year to all.

I have picked up some old secondary double glazing panels off Freecycle and am intending to have a go at making a cold frame over the weekend.

I am sure someone on here must have done something like this before, so do you have any tips or advice for me?

I will let you know how I go on and maybe post a pic if the result of my efforts is not to embarrassing.

Richard
My other Forums Lambretta related

Trillium

SalJ1980

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 19:09 »
I made one a few months back Richard, not got any pics of it but I'll try and remember to take some tomorrow (too dark now) and post.  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

RichardC

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 20:08 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Here's one that Grannieannie's OH built for her.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=12237&highlight=double+glazing&sid=6a01cad1135f75c39ddbdd9a08abc166

thanks for the link Trillium. Don't think my carpentry skills are up to that standard, so mine may be a bit more basic. Planning on just a frame with fixed glazed panells, with the whole thing being lifted to get access.

Will be at home rather than on the allotment, as no new glass is allowed on the site (although any existing is allowed). I have a plan of how it will look in my mind, now just need to translate it into reality!

RichardC

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 20:09 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
I made one a few months back Richard, not got any pics of it but I'll try and remember to take some tomorrow (too dark now) and post.  :D

Much appreciated Sal.

philskin

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 21:09 »
heres one we made earlier as they say on blue peter lol

just  used 3x2 inch timber to make frames then found some wood of a bonfire plus some from the school i work at and bobs your uncle

If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

RichardC

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 21:23 »
Nice work philskin ... now I'm thinking hinged glazing is the way to go. A re-think is in need me thinks.

SalJ1980

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 21:25 »
Mine is like philskin's in that it's solid sided. I bought hinges but in the end I just have the window laid on top and slide it from side to side as needed, bit like an ice-cream freezer!  :lol:

RichardC

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 21:26 »
Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... ice cream

RichardC

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 18:02 »

Didn't get finished as only managed a few hours over yesterday and today. It is massively over engineered (as usual for me).

Taking up Sals idea, the central glass panel will be fixed and the two outer ones will slide over it on ally rails. Sadly I had to buy the rails (£8.99) but everything else has been sourced for nothing.

The rails and glass panels are just loose laid on top for the photo.

It will be lined internally with foamex panels for extra insulation and I will probably go for a larch lap cladding (shed or fence depending on what I can get from freecycle) for the exterior.

What have others done for a base ... just the ground?

Any experts out there forsee any problems with my design? If so, please let me know before I go any further.

Hope to finish it next weekend. Will post completed pics then.

Yabba

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 18:07 »
If it was me, I'd be tempted to add supports front and back for the long lengths, and remove the ones from the top. it'd let more light in.

Mind you, I'm always over engineering stuff :-S

¥

RichardC

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 18:13 »
Quote from: "Yabba"
If it was me, I'd be tempted to add supports front and back for the long lengths, and remove the ones from the top. it'd let more light in.

Mind you, I'm always over engineering stuff :-S

¥

Great minds and all that ... I have in fact added six extra up-rights since the pic was taken.

Need to keep the bars across the top to support the central fixed panel and keep everything square. The glazed panels have ally frames, so they wont make much differance to the available light anyway.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 19:18 »
I was cruising gardeners' world website's How To videos and loved their ideas of insulating the cold frame with rigid styro and also how they place theirs.....on lengths of greenhouse weight landscape fabric (see the blueberry video). This is tougher stuff that tolerates lots of walking and no weed penetration whatsoever. For the small amount you could purchase from a garden centre, it would be worth having to stop all weed growth in the frame. I used this stuff on the base of my pathways and so far it's doing the job nicely. Thinner stuff I've used has already split and is weedy.  :x

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 12:19 »
Thanks everyone, I have now been inspired to build my own cold frame, despite having neither the time nor the materials!!  Until yesterday, when I managed to acquire a discarded double glazed piece of glass from what I can only assume was once a patio door, as it is approx 6 foot long and about 2.5 feet wide.  And it's that expensive Pilkington stuff with extra heat retaining properties, better than I have at home  :lol:

I'll need to build a hinged frame to hold it, but old wood is fairly easy to get hold of.  Roll on some decent weather so I can crack on without getting frostbite.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 15:23 »
I put pea shingle in my cold frames as it retains the heat during the day and releases it during the night a bit like a storage heater.

xx
greenhouse update-FINISHED- with pics

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 16:12
by garddwr
xx
Cold Frame

Started by Praxxus on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 07:44
by pink aubergine
question
Cold Frame

Started by Woodhousemoor on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 13:51
by Woodhousemoor
xx
I don't have a cold frame

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 17:22
by Neil

Page created in 1.551 seconds with 37 queries.