Couch grass from next door

• 10 Replies

galen

• Experienced Member
« on: January 01, 2009, 21:25 »
First proper post, hope it makes sense !

My new lottie is one thats been in use by others this year but has been split into 2 to cope with current demand. My initial inspection has discovered couch grass and the digging shows the roots (how many !!) going everywhere including the neighbouring plots. I aim to have raised beds (got loads of free timber to use) but was wondering:

a) started digging one spit deep and hand sorting roots, would 6 inch raised beds above get rid (ie prevent growing) any undetected couch grass roots; and

b) is there any physical barrier, trench, plastic or whatever to prevent it spreading and stop it coming back from surrounding paths, plots etc

Happy new year to all

Galen
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 21:37 »
Supposedly a trench one foot deep stops it from creeping, and if you dump six inch of soil on to the top of it, it will grow up through it  :(  Tho a cardboard membrane may stop it while your killing the rest off.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:23 »
On my list of things to do is to dig a 'moat' around my plot but with no water.  This way the underground roots won't come trough onto my plot as there will be a physical gap.

I hope it works.

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:39 »
I have a plan for this as I have exactly the same trouble. I have posted on freecycle asking for any old rooftiles and I will dig round my plot and place an underground barrier using these, I hope it works!

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:22 »
SpudtheBinx: That sounds like a very good idea!

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 16:08 »
Believe it or not, couch roots will simply go down deeper then back up  past the obstruction :evil:  as I have found. My veg garden had a 6x6" creosoted timber barrier set in place to keep out weeds (before I moved here). The dratted roots have since grown under and through the beams. Its the very sharp pointed ends that can burrow through almost anything.
The beams are now falling apart thanks to the couch roots so this summer I'm replacing the lot with concrete blocks linked with mortar and set on a 4" deep compacted gravel dust base. Once in place I'll still have to dig out couch roots that snuck in this past summer. It's a never ending battle but eventually the couch weakens and suffers severe setbacks.

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 18:36 »
Without barriers to direct them the roots mainly stay close to the surface, so for ordinary beds, an occasional trim with edging shears will keep them at bay. The ones that go a bit deeper get the chop with a sharp spade, when digging or tidying beds in the autumn/winter.
For raised beds I think you will have to keep the area around them clear. Would you be allowed to put membrane and mulch down on the paths between plots?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 18:55 »
I had trouble with couch grass in my raspberries (and other places but I'll describe what I did round them..... ).  I pulled as much as I could out from the area by hand.  Then mulched the rasps with a deep layer of old hay.  Laid card on the paths between and then covered in sand.

Every time something came up through the hay I flipped the hay or put more down.  One or two bits I pulled out.  

Nothing came through the cardboard and sand - although a few things germinated there & I raked them away.

Luckily this area is fairly isolated (shed, patio, greenhouse & a row of rhubarb) so there is little coming in from the sides.  2 years on & I have couch beaten!  (I think..... ;) )
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 19:12 »
A while back I read in a gardening magazine that growing outdoor tomatoes inhibits the growth of couch grass.  Have to say I didn't think anything of it until this winter when I was digging over the bed that had had tomatoes in last summer, and ...  :shock: no couch grass roots.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 19:16 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Believe it or not, couch roots will simply go down deeper then back up  past the obstruction :evil:  as I have found.

Always thought they might  :evil:  I must admit to giving all the perimeter paths on my plot a good dose of sodium chlorate in the spring, thats slows the damn stuff down  :evil:

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 20:11 »
Thanks for all your responses. I suppose in the normal course of events I would have waited until spring and used roundup but as the lottie is new to me I thought I just had to start somewhere and started digging – Fortunately after a gentle day and a bit of research realised all the “grass” I was digging in was couch ! Next day was spent hand sorting all the roots from the same area… :(

I had heard of a trench barrier and was thinking of lining / facing it with membrane and also digging down my paths a foot deep with membrane and mulch. Hopefully stop anything get back in!

I’m not that badly infested so I think I’ll continue digging and hand sorting areas for my initial 4 raised beds (already thinking crop rotation  :) ) and most probably cover the rest until I get the time to continue. I’m in for the long time and realise it’s not quick and easy!

xx
couch grass

Started by timmycat on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 22:12
by woodburner
xx
couch grass

Started by alfieplot162 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 21:34
by LittleSlugInTheNorth
xx
Couch Grass

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 07:56
by ghost61
xx
Couch Grass

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 18:28
by brinylon

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 36 queries.