minor dilemma!

• 21 Replies

crowndale

minor dilemma!
« on: December 29, 2008, 15:50 »
Hmm, so I got two boxes of stuff from a seed and sundries supplier this morning.  This did not unduly suprise me becoz I always forget how much I have purchased before it arrives.  undo box 1 and there is my seed order (minus a bag of onion sets and spuds to follow).  So I open box 2 anticipating onion sets and maybe some spuds even though it was quite light and I find...my seed order minus some onion sets and seed spuds!  Completely duplicated, identical to teh first box (except the box was marginally smaller).  So now I have two identical sets of seeds, so do I own up and send one lot back, or just ring them and let them decide or just keep quiet and plant more peas?!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
minor dilemma!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 15:59 »
Check to see if you have been billed for it first.  

Some seed companies are so busy this time of year that it can be more expensive for them to administer the return than it will be to let you have the seeds.  However, that's their call not mine but that's what happened with a friend of mine recently.  Kings (Essex) I think it was.

Give 'em a call, ask them to check their billing, and go from there.  

I'd own up because if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all and I'd probably end up in trouble if I didn't confess.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

crowndale

minor dilemma!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 16:20 »
I probably would too!  I paid by cheque so no problem there.  even got a 'free' packet of seeds becoz of a minor discrepency that was cheaper to sort with a free set of seeds than a cheque!

gary.j.kelsey

In their office shoes.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 16:25 »
Lets turn this on its head. Lets assume they've billed you for one box and they are middle men. If they recieved two boxes and only paid for one from their suppliers, do we think they would turn around and say, sorry, you've sent us two boxes.
What's mine, is yours!

woodburner

minor dilemma!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 16:57 »
I'd own up. It's not your fault they sent a load you didn't want so I'd not pay postage to return the second set, but you could end up with the whole lot legally yours and conscience free.  :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Elcie

minor dilemma!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 17:21 »
Honestly?  I would keep it.  I know I am also the first to post this so perhaps I am truthful and brave too  :lol:

gary.j.kelsey

minor dilemma!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 18:41 »
I'm with you Elcie

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
minor dilemma!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 18:44 »
Keep them.  Life doesnt throw up many freebies!!

ohnonotagain

minor dilemma!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 19:03 »
O no, go for it, how often does THIS happen. hee hee hee been on the home made parsnip wine

Bunker

minor dilemma!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 20:40 »
The second box could be considered an unsolicited gift which you are entitled to keep. You could write to them asking for them to arrange collection, at their expense, within 14 days or you will keep them under the consumer protection (2000) regulations.

Alternatively just keep quiet and consider it a late Christmas present. I would. :D
Paul

crowndale

minor dilemma!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 21:22 »
I called them up and they are sending me a return lable with the postage paid so they obviously want it back.  so much for honesty eh?!!  But the order was for around 35 quid so its probably worth their while to get it back where it probably wouldn't have been worth their while to chase it up themselves.  But my consciounce would have bothered me if I hadn't rung and given them the option of reclaiming it for themselves.  sniff, will have to make do with the seeds I actually ordered, no savings for next year!

Ygerna

minor dilemma!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 21:30 »
For what its worth, I believe you did the right thing. At the end of the day, it would be a 'loss' to them, and too many of those sees people going out of buisness. Ok, so your one box may not have been enough to do that alone but, a small pebble causes big ripples...

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
minor dilemma!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 21:33 »
The right thing to do really Crowndale i reckon, if it had been the other way around and you could not balance your books, not knowing you had sent out a double order, you would have been very happy if someone had owned up.  What goes around comes around, you will have your time when fortune smiles on you too.   :)

Cawdor

Happy New year all, not that i will be doing anything special.  :(
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

titch

minor dilemma!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 22:58 »
i agree, you have to live with yourself, i would have done the same, oh wouldnt have, but it would keep me awake,
just keep breathing................

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
minor dilemma!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 01:34 »
Well I was just getting ready to post my two penneth when I saw your last post.
What I was going to say was,
 "You know what your conscience is telling you, follow that and you will always have a clear conscience".

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

xx
Minor disappointments

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 17:12
by mumofstig
xx
Dilemma

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2021, 12:58
by Russell Atterbury
xx
pea dilemma

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 06:38
by DD.
xx
dilemma

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 10:16
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 36 queries.