Need some help please

• 15 Replies

Lilac

Need some help please
« on: December 28, 2008, 14:51 »
Hi everyone

I recently moved house, and in the weeks since moving until today, my two chickens went to stay with someone I know who also has chickens. When we went to pick up our girls today, we saw that our black rock isn't well. Her comb has shrunk, her breast was wet and she seems to have lost feathers from her front. Also her feet look very pale. The people weren't in who have been looking after the girls for me, so I haven't been able to speak to them. The other chicken is fine and well. Once we got them home and into their new run here, the black rock actually seemed to perk up somewhat. Do you think she could be stressed out? or has been picked on by the other chickens at the place they were staying? I don't know if this is relevant or not, but she had stopped laying (don't know if she started while she was away), and also today she seemed to be making funny purring like noises.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to lose my girl. She is not two years old yet

Thank you in advance

compostqueen

Need some help please
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 14:56 »
I do hope she'll be all right and am sorry she seems to be off colour. It could be the upheaval as they are a bit sensitive to being moved I understand.  Now you have her back you can keep a close eye on her.  Folks on here are very knowledgeable and someone in the know will be by shortly  :D

Hawkins

Need some help please
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 14:58 »
im no expert but mine do that funny purring noise when they are upset, give her lots of hugs and perhaps some favourite food, spaghetti or porridge. make her feel very welcome and at home again.

Keep her nice and warm as well

Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, so see what they say.

Keep an eye on her good luck.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

woodburner

Need some help please
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 15:11 »
Lack of feathers on the breast suggests broodiness, wet breast suggests that her chest has been dunked to try and break her broodiness. Only way to know for sure is to talk to the people who were looking after her.  :D

Broodiness would explain her being quieter, and possibly the droopy comb, too. Pale feet is an indication of how long she has/had been laying. I saw a chart with details recently. I will try and find it later.

Edit: The purring noise could be the broody cluck.  If she stays in the coop, try putting an egg just in front of her and see what she does. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Vember

Need some help please
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 15:27 »
Agree with Woodburner about the purring,
I find with mine if you put your hand under them they also seem to snuggle down on to it :)

Sarah :)

Lilac

Need some help please
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 15:28 »
Thanks everyone. I tried the spaghetti thing as normally she loves that but she just hid away from me :(  Which is very strange in itself as she is normally the tamer one of the two of them. I am begining to wonder if we have picked up the right hen!!

Lilac

Need some help please
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 16:56 »
Just wanted to add to this, that her legs as well as being pale are also scaly! I don't know if that is a seperate thing from broodiness or not. Any more info would be great. Thanks

Foxy

Need some help please
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 17:16 »
Oh dear sorry to hear that sounds like she may have picked up scaly leg mite which is highly contagious. The mite burrows underneath the scales and gradually lifts them, it ends up looking very unsightly with grey, crusty material (residue from the mite) caked around the scales. It is also very uncomfortable for the birds.
There are various treatments -one is smearing the legs with vaseline to smother the mites, or using products such as Frontline (not licensed though for poultry)which kills the mite instantly and which only needs one treatment, I use the spray version. If she has scaly leg mite then the other birds and henhouse will need to be treated. Wouldn't be a bad idea to dust the birds with a mite powder while you are at it too in case its not just scaly mite they have picked up.
Hope she perks up soon! :D

Link to scaly leg mite info
parasites

Lilac

Need some help please
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 17:55 »
Thank you so much Foxy. I will try the vaseline thing tomorrow and if that doesn't work will go and get some frontline. I will also give them both a dose of mite powder to be on the safe side.

Its really strange because while they were away we went to visit them a couple of time and they seemed fine and Annie (the black rock) would come up to me as normal and was still very tame with me. But then we couldn't get there for a few weeks and in those few weeks all of this has happened. Its weird how she is not tame anymore. Hopefully that will return though :(

Lilac

Need some help please
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 15:43 »
Quote from: "Lilac"
Thanks everyone. I tried the spaghetti thing as normally she loves that but she just hid away from me :(  Which is very strange in itself as she is normally the tamer one of the two of them. I am begining to wonder if we have picked up the right hen!!

Hmm, well it turns out we did pick up the wrong hen!! doh! We have now returned the wrong hen and we have our rightful Black Rock. Even though I feel rather stupid about all of this, I did at least learn a little about broody hens and scaly leg mite, so for that I am grateful :wink:

Vember

Need some help please
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 16:58 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That's great news Lilac  :lol:

Sarah :D

Hawkins

Need some help please
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 17:15 »
how is the real hen, nice and friendly I hope

Lilac

Need some help please
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 18:09 »
She is fine thanks. When I went to pick her up and drop the other one off, I took some spaghetti as I thought If I have got them mixed up my girl would definately come to me when she saw I had spaghetti. And oh boy, she fair nearly knocked the other chooks over in her eagerness to get to me :lol: I am so happy to have them both home again, I really missed them :cry:

Hawkins

Need some help please
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 18:19 »
oh it's like homeward bound. happy endings. I could cry

Lilac

Need some help please
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 16:16 »
Quote from: "Hawkins"
oh it's like homeward bound. happy endings. I could cry

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 36 queries.