Bad news on Christmas Day!! -cockerel ftgh

• 5 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« on: December 26, 2008, 14:10 »
Some of you may recall I purchased 2 day old chicks last June when one of my hens went broody.  We raised the little ones and the Sussex Light turned out to be a cockerel which was named Kiev.  He started crowing a few weeks ago and after crowing at 5.20am (in the middle of winter?!?!) his fate was sealed and he was destined for the pot.  However a kind lady took pity on him and decided to offer him a home on her farm with 3 other cockerals.

That left Nugget, my beautiful pure bred Buff Sussex.  Now until about a week ago I was convinced she was a she. Although Kiev was a Sussex Light, Nug just looked different... no curly tail feathers, wattles or comb. However once Kiev went her wattles seemed to start growing as well as her comb and yesterday just before we served up Christmas Dinner she threw back her head and crowed!

I'm gutted - I'm so attached to this chicken I just can't bring myself to hand him over to someone for the pot....

Any chance anyone out there could offer him a loving home?  I'm quite willing to travel to deliver him.  He's so tame and just 7 months old.  If I was computer literate I'd post a picture (Have to wait till the children come home/get up).

Kym

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 15:10 »
Bad luck Kym :cry:  It's a gamble with eggs and chicks  :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 15:22 »
All three ducklings I kept for myself this year were drakes. 5 out of 10 that I hatched for my aunt were :roll:  Sod's Law.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:47 »
Poor Nugget still hasn't found a home.  Anyone got any good ideas as to places in Kent that might like him.   :cry:

PagesPoultry

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:22 »
Hi Kym,

I would have been more than happy to take the cockerel for you but I am miles away. I am always taking birds in to help people out and then they stay until someone needs a breeding cockerel and off they go to a home full of hens! Happy cockerel.

I hope you find someone.

Susie

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 12:28 »
This time of year people are looking to start up their breeding pens and maybe would like some fresh blood, buff sussex are quite popular too.

Try asking on this website,

http://www.pekinbantams.com/community/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=bf171813823ce6f43d1bbff5cce9f5ef

xx
cockerel news

Started by meterman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 23:11
by chickenlady
xx
Various cockerels FTGH - Anyone??

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:19
by Foxy
xx
FTGH - old english game

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 23:22
by Bodger
xx
Fox news

Started by meterman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 01:25
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 37 queries.