Gutter planting

• 7 Replies

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
Gutter planting
« on: December 25, 2008, 14:37 »
Anyone tried this technique?
Planting out and thinning can be a real faff, so I'm hoping that starting things off in 1m lengths of guttering will be a little easier. Radishes, carrots, 'snips, sundry other brassicas etc. Hopefully, starting the carrots well away from their final growing space might even help keep the fly at bay.

What do you think?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Gutter planting
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 16:41 »
Not used it personally, but I know some find it useful in getting better germination with things like peas, before sliding them into their final growing position.

Not sure this would be useful with things like brassicas that need much wide spacing.

Also not sure about the carrot fly either, they come in at least two waves, even if protected from the first lot whilst in the gutters - the next lot could get them!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Gutter planting
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 17:21 »
As Dave says it's a great way to start off peas, particularly if you have mice that dig up the peas to eat  :evil:

alfman

• Experienced Member
GUTTERING
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 18:30 »
Yep, Guttering works a treat for starting off peas early under glass. I've done it a few times myself but I'm not so sure about root crops. They don't like being transplanted.

pushrod

Gutter planting
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 19:43 »
I have tried it for lettuce and it works quite well, as you can just slide out the seedlings when you need them without disturbing the roots.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

crowndale

Gutter planting
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 19:57 »
I'm going to try some in gutters this eyar and some in those root trainers.  the ones I did last year in root trainers did really well, much better than those planted straight in the ground but I don't have enough root trainers for the amount of peas I want so I'll try some guttering as well!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

pushrod

Gutter planting
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 20:14 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
I'm going to try some in gutters this eyar and some in those root trainers. the ones I did last year in root trainers did really well, much better than those planted straight in the ground but I don't have enough root trainers for the amount of peas I want so I'll try some guttering as well!

Agree, i used those deep root trainers for peas and they did very well. I suspect that gutters might be a bit shallow for peas as the roots will get tangled unless they are moved out very quickly. This year i am going to just reuse the root trainers for sugarsnaps/mangetout to get a longer season of them.

Yabba

Gutter planting
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 20:17 »
How cool! I didn't know you could grow gutters .... I don't suppose you can grow facia boards as well can you? :roll:

¥

grin
Growing In The Gutter

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 22:10
by evie2
xx
peas in a gutter

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 21:06
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Peas in Gutter Pipe

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 22, 2007, 00:27
by Redwellies
xx
Pickling Onions in Gutter?

Started by Arls0308 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 16:55
by Arls0308

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 36 queries.