What about alkaline soil?

• 3 Replies

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« on: December 22, 2008, 14:58 »
I've so much good advice as a result of my first post; here's another question I'd like some opinions on.

My new allotment has alkaline soil. I did a few tests this morning and they all showed a ph of about 8. So, what should I be aware of and is there anything I should be doing to alter the ph?

Salmo

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 16:28 »
Better alkaline than acid. Is it a naturally high pH soil i.e. is it overlying limestone or chalk, or has it been unneccessarily limed in the past?

pH8 is high, any higher and you will start to find phosphate, boron and manganese defficiency as they will be tied up in the soil and not available to the plants. Manganese is quite commonly seen on alkaline soils when the soil warms up and crops grow faster than their roots. Crops look pale and stare,i.e. sit up and look not quite right. Usually this is temporary but if it continues the tips of onions and shallots go white and the leaves of beet, lettuce and runners become mottled with shallow poc marks.

If it is naturally alkaline there is little you can do. Plenty of organic matter, especially manure, is what it will need.

If it has been overlimed, again give it plenty of muck and lay off the lime for a year or two.

You can reduce alkalinity with sulphur. I do not know much about using it but I can see a danger of going too far.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 17:55 »
With such a high pH, you should have no clubroot problems lucky you :D   Perfect for growing sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, mustard, turnips, swede, pak choi and kale (and any other brassica I've forgotten!).  Also all legumes (if it had been acidic, a bit of lime in the soil is great for nitrogen fixing bacteria), carrots & parsnips, sweetcorn.  Outdoor tomatoes, peppers & celery/celeriac on the other hand like it a bit acidic but did in loads of manure which they'll like & it should be fine  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 23:31 »
Wow, lots of good information. All I know about the soil is that the tests all showed pH 8 and it is currently part of a stubble field which was used to grow either wheat or barley (I suspect wheat) this year.

xx
alkaline soil

Started by jimroden on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 15:07
by GreenOwl
xx
Alkaline in my soil

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 17:13
by Yorkie
xx
Soil

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 22:39
by mumofstig
xx
More top soil

Started by BestBreast on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 19:57
by woodburner

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 36 queries.