turkey culling

• 28 Replies

agapanthus

turkey culling
« on: December 21, 2008, 23:36 »
Munt disposed of 2 turkeys today.....I was'nt there....but I went to see them afterwards.... I thought I would feel really bad....but I had to think and see things differently...... I was sad but I was happy knowing they had had a very good life and a very quck end......from feet tied to the end 15 seconds.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
turkey culling
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 23:41 »
That's a good first step Aggy!  I always feel a little sad when my babies go, but once they are dead, they are just meat, but a very tasty meat, that you will eat and say I grew that dinner!!!!  And like you say, you know they have had a good life, unlike the poor things they sell in the supermarkets!

I made 3 of ours into sausages today!

Foxy

turkey culling
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 00:08 »
grannie going to have to try your sausages too!!! :D  :D

Bodger

turkey culling
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:05 »
When it comes down to it, nobody really enjoys killing anything but its a good feeling to know that you've given something thats destined to be eaten the best life possible and that you've also produced some fantastic food. There's nothing like it. :D

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
turkey culling
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 08:42 »
Thank you for your post agapanthus...............it makes me feel a bit braver for tonights cull.

How did the plucking go?

agapanthus

turkey culling
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30 »
Quote from: "kimT"
Thank you for your post agapanthus...............it makes me feel a bit braver for tonights cull.

How did the plucking go?

It went well....Munt started with the wings....using sharp downward jerks. He removed all the large primary feathers on both wings, then pulled the feathers out of the wings tips up to the breast. With the harder to remove feathers, use a pair of pliers. Put the pliers as close to the skin as possible to get a good grip on the feather. Once they are removed, extend the wing so the wing flap becomes taught....remove the feathers on that flap by going against the way the feathers are laying. When both wings are done, go to the parsons nose grip base with left hand and pull out all the feathers attached to it. Now start on the long gaiter feathers on the thigh, taking care to remove only a few feathers at a time to ensure the skin does'nt split. Munt tends to use thumb, forefinger and middle finger, trapping feathers between thumb and fingers. When both thigh gaiters done start on the back below the parsons nose, plucking right down to the head. Don't worry about leaving small feathers behind as these can be plucked off when doing the final clear-up. Next the legs. If you have the bird suspended by both legs pluck all the feathers all the way round within reach. Transfer to the breast and again ripping only a few feathers a time....remove all feathers down to the head. Take one leg of the bird out of the loop...this will allow you to remove feathers between the thigh. Any short damaged feathers on the breast which are too small to be gripped by fingers can be removed with pliers or fingernails. Clear all feathers from around anal vent ....do final pick-over and replace leg back in the loop. Weigh the bird and leave to cool for as long as you require in a cool place. Enjoy!!!!

Bodger

turkey culling
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:36 »
After all the hard work has been done, its a good idea to give them a quick flash over with a blow torch to get rid of any errrrrrrrrrrr? bum fluff. :lol:  Seriously though, it does tidy the carcasse up a bit :thumright:

agapanthus

turkey culling
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:38 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
After all the hard work has been done, its a good idea to give them a quick flash over with a blow torch to get rid of any errrrrrrrrrrr? bum fluff. :lol:  Seriously though, it does tidy the carcasse up a bit :thumright:

I'll pass the message on!! ;)

Bodger

turkey culling
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 11:46 »
Make sure he knows the blow torch is for the turkeys bum fluff. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

poultrygeist

turkey culling
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 12:14 »
Must admit, as a complete softy and novice, when Brian was doing the deed, I found it all just part of a process, and trusted in his abilities.

There must be an inbuilt state of mind that stops us being too emotional in these situations. But I'm not volunteering to learn that part of the process just yet  :)

Rob 8)

Jellyhead

turkey culling
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 13:35 »
I do admire you lot, I am just a total wuss :oops: the closest I got to doing the right thing was buying a free range turkey today for 36 euros against a bigger one for 17 euros :shock: hurt me purse but made me ed feel good :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

agapanthus

turkey culling
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 21:15 »
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
I do admire you lot, I am just a total wuss :oops: the closest I got to doing the right thing was buying a free range turkey today for 36 euros against a bigger one for 17 euros :shock: hurt me purse but made me ed feel good :wink:

Good for you jelly!!!! ;)

pushrod

turkey culling
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 23:44 »
Quote from: "kimT"

How did the plucking go?

Are you doing your turkey tonight? Mine has been hanging for 4 days already.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
turkey culling
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 08:50 »
It's all over now.

The cull went very very well no stressed birds all was calm and very quick too.

I followed agapanthus method of plucking and that worked well and yes you need those pliers for them BIG feathers boy are they hard to get out I would think much easier for a someone with strong hands. They are now hanging in the stables til Christmas eve and we will then do the other horrible bit.

Five were culled and the weights are much bigger than we thought they would be. 2 x 26lbs 1 x 25lbs 1x 25lbs and 1 x 22lbs.

Just hope I can get it in my oven  :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

turkey culling
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 08:53 »
Well done KimT ! :)

Enjoy them and raise a glass in their honour :D

Rob 8)

xx
culling

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 00:54
by SnooziSuzi
xx
culling

Started by hermon on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 14:09
by Aunt Sally
xx
Culling - Which way?

Started by kimT on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 14:17
by kimT
sad
culling

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 15:44
by drumcrow

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 36 queries.