my new compost bin

• 22 Replies

stompy

my new compost bin
« on: May 10, 2006, 12:44 »
I'v just recieved my new compost bin from the council, can anyone tell me, do i just place it straight onto the ground, or should i place it on plastic to stop all the liquid it has produced from going into the ground so it stays in the heap. :?

Also what about placing it on a wooden structure with grooves in it so the liquid runs down them into a container for use as a feed, thats if the liquid is any good as a feed :?:  :?:  :?:

Jake

• Rockers
my new compost bin
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 12:50 »
You want the worms to have access to the bin so putting it on some chicken wire which will stop rats and let worms in is a good idea. Ideally it would be on something like wood/metal with holes drilled in it and then on bare ground. If it looks dry you could water it.

Only problem I've seen when the bin is on solid ground is that grass goes all slimy and takes ages to break down.

Don't know about the water collection from it, sounds like a good idea to me but I'm not sure. I usually wash out the compost bin in our kitchen and empty the water onto the rhubarb, it certainly doesn't seem to mind.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

stompy

my new compost bin
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 12:57 »
Hi there jake, do i need to have worms in the bin to make it work  :?:

I just thaught that any liquid comming out the bottom, would just go straight into the ground and be wasted  :(

Jake

• Rockers
my new compost bin
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 13:11 »
Yeah I know what you mean about the liquid escaping. My composter is on bare ground but is open on top so rain keeps it moist. It is working very well, seems to turn into compost before my eyes. I have got horse muck in there too though and I think that really got it going.

I don't think you need worms so much but they will speed the process up. You could always add some worms to the enclosed unit and they should breed, provided it doesn't get so hot it kills them.

If it gets too sloppy in there you could always remove the lid to air it out.

I think having a porous bottom and just adding a bit of water if it seems dry will be easier than drying it out if it is too wet. I guess it might also depend on the sort of stuff you're going to put in there.

stompy

my new compost bin
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 13:28 »
yeah i think your right jake, i think i'll just have it directly on the ground :wink:

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
my new compost bin
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 13:59 »
OOoo, I'm glad I saw this - I have a new compost bin from the council too :D  I was going to put it in the shade behind the shed, but the area back there is paved over completely.... the only bit of bare ground I have is in full sun  :(

Jake

• Rockers
my new compost bin
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 14:10 »
I saw the photo of your bin.

Couldn't you just pull up some of the slabs and use them somewhere else as a small path?

OR

You could have it half on the paving and half over ground with some extra earth to prop it up. Don't forget something to stop rats/mice unless you're not that bothered. I wasn't that bothered but if its mice getting to my peas I'll change my tune. It also occurs to me that if they feed off some compost they might be too full to eat my veg.

Here's hoping.

Jake

• Rockers
my new compost bin
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 14:13 »
PS, I like the wood burner thing you've got there.

stompy

my new compost bin
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 14:15 »
Your bin is the same as mine £6 can't go wrong at that price :wink:  :wink:  :lol:

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
my new compost bin
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 14:43 »
LOL - I took that photo so that my mum in London could take a look (well, she likes to know what's going on!)

That is the bin's temporary home whilst I decide what to do behind the shed.  I did consider taking the slabs up so I'll have another look at doing that over the weekend.

Stompy - my bin was £4 from Sheffield City Council :D  

The wood burner thing was in the garden when we moved in - it needs a wire brush and a good lick of paint, but I like it too.

stompy

my new compost bin
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 14:55 »
Gutted, mine was £6, i'v been robbed :cry:

Sweetpea have you thaught about putting water butts behind the shed on the slabs, you can't have enough butts   :lol:

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
my new compost bin
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 17:34 »
Quote from: "stompy"

Sweetpea have you thaught about putting water butts behind the shed on the slabs, you can't have enough butts   :lol:

*bites tongue* :tongue2:  Actually there is already one large water butt back there, and another at the top of the garden.  The guy who lived here before also rigged up some sort of irrigation system that runs from the water butt fed by the guttering down across the garden and into the veggie patch.

Unfortunately, he also had a fire at some point and melted most of it :(  I brought some spare tubing last weekend to attempt to repair it :D

I hadn't thought about getting another water butt, but that isn't a bad idea... *muses*

noshed

my new compost bin
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 21:54 »
What an excellent cat
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

lisa

bins
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 11:34 »
I m getting one of those too how exciting!! i ve bought a peely bin for my kitchen to add to the excitement!  what a sad life I lead .x

Jake

• Rockers
Re: bins
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 11:42 »
Quote from: "lisa"
I m getting one of those too how exciting!! i ve bought a peely bin for my kitchen to add to the excitement!  what a sad life I lead .x

You and me both, the compost is one of my favourite things on the plot. I even quite like the smell now :shock: . If you get a good mix of different stuff it kind of smells like a mild sileage.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 37 queries.