£8 42pence

• 11 Replies

Bodger

£8 42pence
« on: December 17, 2008, 15:29 »
For 60 metres of 6" wide plastic damp proof course to go go beneath my electric poultry netting. I reckon thats pretty reasonable don't you ?

Lardman

£8 42pence
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 16:08 »
Screwfix  £8.40
Toolstation : £7:60

I normally pick that sort of stuff up from Wickes - but it would be 12 quid there !!!

£8.42 seems fair enough..

Note to self - I spend too much time and money at DIY stores !!!

rosied

chicken wire?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 16:16 »
Sorry to be off topic but since you both seem to be in the know where is the cheapest place to buy chicken wire from?  

Cheers

Rosie

Lardman

Re: chicken wire?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 21:20 »
Quote from: "rosied"
Sorry to be off topic but since you both seem to be in the know where is the cheapest place to buy chicken wire from?  

I bought the last lot I had from Wilco's - but I can't see any online at the moment. I really wouldn't use it for protecting the birds - as I sure you'll see its useless for anything other than keeping the chickens in.

If you want to keep things out of a run look for weldmesh - Ive got a nice big 30m roll from Hills in Devon - 40 quid inc delivery. 1"x½" the thicker the wire the better, but I think 1mm should be adequate ? Mines never been put to the test and I hope it stays that way.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
£8 42pence
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:45 »
I have built the pen on my allotment from the sheets of Harras fencing as used on building sites.

At the school, they have the linked fencing like the council use.

I picked it up at £5 a sheet, pretty much new.

I have seen that Wilko do welded wire mesh (not the cheap "chicken wire") at quite a good price.  I phoned them yesterday and told me it was seasonal so you'll expect to get some in Spring I rekon.

Bodger

£8 42pence
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 19:48 »
Thanks for getting my post moved to chat folks. :lol:

Here's a before picture of my electric poultry fencing.

and heres an after picture :thumright:

I fitted my £8.42 p investment today.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
£8 42pence
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 20:22 »
Great job!  Keeps the current stronger.

CDave

• Experienced Member
Re: chicken wire?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:42 »
Quote from: "Lardman"
Quote from: "rosied"

I bought the last lot I had from Wilco's - but I can't see any online at the moment. I really wouldn't use it for protecting the birds - as I sure you'll see its useless for anything other than keeping the chickens in.

If you want to keep things out of a run look for weldmesh - Ive got a nice big 30m roll from Hills in Devon - 40 quid inc delivery. 1"x½" the thicker the wire the better, but I think 1mm should be adequate ? Mines never been put to the test and I hope it stays that way.

Agre with you there. Hills of Devon were cheapest online that I could find. No postal charges  :D Discount for 2 rolls :D Ordered late thursday night. Arrived monday morning  :D and, they didn't take my payment from bank account until Tuesday. Thats great service I think.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
£8 42pence
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:17 »

Cheers

Rosie

You don't say where you live but i buy all my wire from Moncaster Wire, Louth, Lincs: http://www.moncaster.co.uk/

I've not done mail order with them as my dad and I like the trip out to louth - the market and independent shops are great. Their service on the phone and at the shop/warehouse has always been good and prices competitive.

Phil W

£8 42pence
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 16:43 »
Hi everyone.

I've just been having a read and spotted the bit about the price of weld mesh wire. I, like Rosie am new to chicken keeping and have been looking around for the best offers on weld mesh. As I understand it Moncasters chinese weld mesh is similar to what Hills of Devon sell. Price wise for example 36in halfx1in 19g mesh at Hills is £38.50 inc delivery and £37.00 for 2nd and more rolls. Moncasters quote for the same roll of wire, I think only for collection is £52.18. If I'm right that seems quite a big difference especially when buying multiple rolls.
Phil.

rosied

thanks!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 18:41 »
Hills look very competative, particularly since delivery is free.  :)

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
£8 42pence
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:31 »
If thats the price differenece Phil W, Hills of Devon will be getting my money.... I'll just have to go to Louth soley for a day trip!

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 37 queries.