Girls are ordered at last. Here I go

• 18 Replies

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:03 »
Hi all, just ordered my chooks from a local farm, got 7 Morrans at pol. He,s keeping them until the week between Christmas and new year, as I am under instuction from the familey to do nowt more till Christmas  :D  :D !!
Paid £9 each for them and although this is a bit pricey they are from a local farm so there is no transport costs and I CAN GO BACK IF THERE ARE ANY PROBLEMS  :)  :) .
Ive got holidays booked in for then so will be able to keep them company and get to know them, not that I am a big softy you understand, just practical livestock management  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
pics and more info when I get my girls
  Alby
wish I was a cat

Parsnip

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:06 »
How exciting...what a great crimbo pressie.. :D

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:37 »
Yay, don't forget the piccies when you get them. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Pete65

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 15:12 »
Alby mentions paying £9 for his hens, and suggest it's a bit pricey.  I've been quoted £14 for POL hybrid pullets.  What is considered a reasonable average price??

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 17:02 »
If they are Marrans, £9 is a good price.  I think £14 for a POL is a bit steep, as mine are still £6 at the moment, not that I've got any left to sell until April!!!  But saying that, I had an enquiry a few months back from a chap in Doncaster, who'd lost a lot of his to some disease, and he was on the look out for an extra 50.  He was going to have 50 of mine, but that's another story!  Anyway, he said he usually buys them for £7 each from someone at around 12 weeks of age and grows them on, so he has to charge £14 to make a bit of profit.

But he didn't have any of ours as his vet said not to bring any other chooks onto the place until his disease was well and truly sorted out, and then only buy chooks which are fully vaccinated.

But if I can make a little profit by selling them for £6, then so should other people be able to surely???

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 17:06 »
cant remember what site I was on, but , general opinion was that 6 to 7 pound was a good price if in tip top condition. Like I said no transport makes all the diference. Wish I lived closer Grannie xxx  :wink:
Alby

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 17:16 »
some of our chooks have gone as far as Surrey and Scotland Alby!!!    :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 17:26 »
....and one of the scottish ones went for an extra trip round the countryside too ! :wink:  :lol:

Looking forward to photos Alby. None of us are softies either. just sensible livestock management for us too :roll:  :)

Rob 8)

Ygerna

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 18:26 »
I think £9 is about right for POL in this area, though some charge considerably more. I have found a breeder who does them for £9, and they are only a couple of miles down the road so good for collection. I just have to sort out my coop which is proving to be very stressful (bidding on ebay)

Pete65

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 19:16 »
I've just spent over an hour trying to locate alternative breeders in our our area, without success.  There are hundreds all over the country, but none within about 60 miles of us.  Despite the price of £14, I think we will  buy the ones we've seen.  They looked very healthy and happy, the breeder was very helpful, and is open to being visited or phoned for advice, and is only 15 minutes drive from home.

We will go tomorrow.  I feel quite apprehensive, but excited.  

More later  .  .  .  .

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 23:13 »
there is one in  Belton nr Grantham, Poultry Mad in Louth and of course GA in Boston, not far from sunny Scunny

In Doncaster there's Steve Fisher, church Farm, Fish Lake

Pete65

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26 »
How far is 'not far'?  Grantham and Boston (where GA is) are both 60 miles from sunny Scunny.  Haven't managed to locate Steve Fisher yet.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56 »
slight change to the theme,but, although my run is penned and ready, it is like a mud bath  :cry:  will it be ok for my new girls ? The coupe is big and there is an indoor run attached ( swimming pool later  :wink:  ) but no grass or even weeds until spring.
Alby

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10 »
Think chickens are a bit fussier than ducks when it comes to a mudbath. They prefer scratching to puddling!

Could you put down something like bark/wood chips (can't remember which one is recommended for chickens feet) so that it isn't as sodden, and put in some perches or logs so they have somewhere raised out of the quagmire to play?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 18:53 »
Thanks Kate, gave me food for thought  :idea:  :idea:  Ive got lots around the lotty that should do the trick  :lol:
Alby

xx
ordered 10 more !!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 16:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
I've ordered my chickens !!

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 20:51
by evie2
xx
well the bantams have been ordered

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 20:15
by helsbels70
xx
Just ordered my 1st hen house!!! Now what!!??

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 18:59
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 36 queries.