Cauli and Cabbage - New user looking for advise

• 3 Replies

Waynestrout

« on: February 26, 2007, 10:22 »
Hi
I'm new to this forum, thought I might seek a bit of advise. All this is new to me; i've grown a few veg in the garden over the last two years with the kids and have this year securred a local allotment as an experiment to see if the enthusiasm from all the family continues when it's on a larger scale.
My Cauli and Cabbage seeds are growing well, probably 10cm high now. They were grown in the last two weeks in a heated propagator inside. i've had to move them out of the heater to make room for the tomato seedlings which I planted yesterday.
What I need to know is, what's the lowest temperatures that you'd trust to leaving them outside in a cold frame?
Cheers

WAYNESTROUT
....and the leaves turn from red to brown....

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:04 »
id leave them in a cold light place mate and hope i dont get them all leggy and struggling for light .i reckon ur a couple months early sowing them , im guesing they are primo type cabbages ie summer ones . if you want to try and save them id think about putting them in 3 inch pots  and growing them on in a cool place until you can get them out end next month  and then fleece or cloche them to prevent losing them to bad weather etc this goes for the cauli's as well and i am sure they will have  head start but a little bit to much of one ,, hope this helps matey and welcome to the family  :D
still alive /............

WG.

Re: Cauli and Cabbage - New user looking for advise
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 12:20 »
Quote from: "Waynestrout"
My Cauli and Cabbage seeds are growing well, probably 10cm high now. They were grown in the last two weeks in a heated propagator inside.

I agree with MJ that you are too early.  Your cauliflower will probably head too early after suffering any sort of check to growth.   Giving you caulis not much bigger than a golf ball.   Keep 'em of course but I'd resow cauli in 6 or 8 weeks time if I were you.

Waynestrout

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:37 »
Thanks for the advise - a bit of repotting for me this afternoon. The cauil packet (I've just checked) says plant seeds Jan & Feb; The cabbage, Feb 'till April. They all came up a bit quicker than a thought, hope I can still save them.

I'll try a few more at the end of March and April to compare

Thanks for the welcome - i'm sure i'm gonna need alot of advise over the coming months. Should be a fun summer.

WAYNESTROUT

clip
Cauli/Cabbage looking sorry

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 23:31
by shoozie
xx
Cabbage and Cauli seeds

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 22:37
by mumofstig
xx
Cabbage/cauli spot the difference

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 22:18
by shaun
xx
Cabbage, Brussle, Cauli Bolted!!!!!!!!

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 20:31
by gazza975526570

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 30 queries.