New learner

• 21 Replies

Pete65

New learner
« on: December 12, 2008, 20:52 »
Hello everybody.
Annie (my wife) and I are about to embark upon your hobby.  On Sunday we hope to buy 4 hens to make their home in our new coop.  It is a brand new hobby to us, and this site was recommended by a friend who has had chickens for some time.  We went last Sunday to a local breeder, who was extremely helpful.  His birds looked happy and healthy - he picked one up to show us how to do it and she seemed quite happy tucked in his arm.  We think we'd like two Columbian Blacktails and two Speckledy Marans.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to offer.  We'd  to hear from you.   Pete :)

poultrygeist

New learner
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 20:56 »
Hello and welcome Pete. :)

Have you got your coop and run and accessories sorted out ?

If you tell us what you know and we can hopefully fill in the missing details. :)

Rob 8)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
New learner
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 23:24 »
Hello Pete and welcome. I must warn you that keeping chickens is a very addictive hobby, so don't say I didn't warn you!:D

You will enjoy every min of owning your chooks as they become great characters and you will learn lots from the people on here and they are always very willing to help and advise.

Good luck with your girls and please post some pictures.

Pete65

New learner
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59 »
Thanks for the welcomes.  I have the coop sited in the garden and ready for occupation.  The farm where we are going for the hens sells feeders, food, etc.  

I had a couple of hours browsing this site yesterday, and recognise the wealth of knowledge and experience it contains.  This kind of advice can't be beaten.  

I am still completing the run, but the supplier recommended keeping the birds in the coop for a couple of weeks, so they become 'at home' there.  

As it is a new hobby to a recently retired couple, I hope it does become addictive.    :D

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
New learner
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:23 »
Hi Pete

You live not too far from York so you could have a nice day out at the York sale in April there will lots of folk there and lots meet up for bacon butties and coffee .................something to look forward too maybe?

I think keeping the hens in a coop for two weeks is a bit too long.

This is just my opinion but I would get you run finished asap keep the chooks in the coop for a couple of days and then let them into the run and then that way they will find their own way back to the coop to roost.
You may have to pop a straggler in through the pop hole but they will soon get the idea.

Good luck.

Foxy

New learner
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 11:53 »
welcome to the madhouse pete! :lol:
Looking forward to lots of pics!

woodburner

New learner
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 12:40 »
Ditto what Kim says. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

poultrygeist

New learner
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 15:34 »
Hi again Pete.

Just a few basics. Defra minimums are 1 sq ft per average chicken inside the coop and 1 sq metre per bird in the run. These are bare minimums, so if you can give them twice or more space in the run it's better.
From what you say, you'll be letting them have the run of the garden, which is ideal.
Food is basically layers pellets, ideally ad lib in the feeder, as well as fresh water changed daily.
A handful of corn can be given in the evening for them to digest overnight and greens should be given if they don't have access to grass.
They will need oyster shell for calcium to make the eggshells and grit to grind up the food in the gizzard. These can usually be bought as oyster grit in combination.
There's all sorts I've not mentioned but there's plenty of more experienced keepers on here to fill you in. :)

The eggs are wonderful and you'll never be bored again so sell your TV and get a deckchair for summer. :)

Rob 8)

matilda duck

New learner
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 17:00 »
The eggs are wonderful and you'll never be bored again so sell your TV and get a deckchair for summer. :)

Rob 8)[/quote]

That is soooooo true!!! Before I had my girls I wouldn't go out the back door.......now theres' no stopping me.

I'm out there 5-6-7 times a day checking on the girls and just generally watching them they are so funny.....

We started with ducks then 4 chickens, then had another 2 chickens and another duck...still want lots more its so addictive.

Good luck with your girls and don't forget ask for any advice, thats what everyone is here for!!!    Oh sorry welcome to the mad house

Pete65

New learner
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 20:15 »
Thanks to everybody (too many to mention already) for help and encouragement.  I'll need even more of it now - we went to buy our girls this afternoon.  It was so exciting.

I had planned to get 2 each of 2 varieties, but the chap I bought them from recommended 4 from the same pen as we were complete beginners.  If they didn't get on, we wouldn't have known what to do with them.  They are beautiful and we love them already. You will see one of them as soon as I can figure out how to include a photo in my posting.

Pete65

New learner
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 16:21 »
I can't believe it, I've just collected our first egg - and we only got the hens yesterday afternoon!!  I'd left the nest box lid slightly propped open to give some ventilation and light (we were advised to keep them in their house for two days), and when I went to close it up, there it was - small but beautiful - our first egg!!  Wow!!  It is so exciting!   :D Annie  :D  Pete

poultrygeist

New learner
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 16:40 »
Hi again Pete and Annie.

The nest box wants to be as dark as possible because they will naturally seek out a dark, low place to lay. Also, they won't like the draught round their bum ! :)
If the nest box is outside the run, anything could get in through the open lid. better safe than sorry. :wink:

Our nest box is outside the run and I have 2 hook and eye fasteners on it just in case one isn't latched.

Pleased you got your first egg. It's the best one. :D

Rob 8)

Pete65

New learner
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 16:52 »
Hi Rob,

I really didn't expect to have an egg already, so it was a real surprise.  I'll leave it dark in there now, just in case.  Although the lid was propped up an inch, it was tied firmly down with wire to the padlock hasp.

As you say, the first egg is the best one.  :)

Kentish Karl

New learner
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 17:06 »
Just wait till you taste it, you'll never buy shop egg's again.

Like you I was new to this in June and also got 4 chickens, just wait untill all your birds are in full lay, you'll have lots of friends wanting egg's. From my 4 birds I was getting around 25 egg's a week.

Pete65

New learner
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 08:45 »
I made a small sandy area in the coop for the girls to dust bathe.  I've read that it's an idea to mix insect powder in with the sand to help keep mites at bay, but the sand gets damp this weather.  Any thought, anyone?

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 36 queries.