Chickens vs Pregnant Mrs!

• 48 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 20:43 »
I'm already at home with a glass of wine and a well fitting bra. :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

noshed

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 21:29 »
Funny you should say that.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 21:40 »
Would like to add a little disclaimer that I am not and have not been pregnant and maybe will buy into all the paranoia whan I have a baby to worry about but right now it just winds me up all the twaddle that my friends are being told by people who should know better.

The ultimate response to them when they have asked for actual information and evidence has been "But how would you feel if something happened to your baby?" :x  Therefore using fear and guilt to get them to do things that can't be done by logic and reason!

Obviously most of what is advised is sensible and rational and with good reason but my giddy aunts are there some humdingers too!

Foxy

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 22:01 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
I'm already at home with a glass of wine and a well fitting bra. :lol:

"sniff sniff!" can I smell burning???  8)  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 22:09 »
I may have the odd moment of "liar liar pants on fire" but I am not the sort of woman built to ever burn her bra!

Spadefighter

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 22:57 »
Just like to say there was never for one solitary second any prospect of getting rid of the chickens. I believe that coming into contact with a bit of dirt is good for the immune system, whereas the mother in law is the type who would bleach the garden if she could! This could get messy I fear.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 23:00 »
Set me on her!

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 06:59 »
I have two beautiful boys, the youngest being 20 months and I followed most of the advice given, although at the end of the day you have to do what feels right to you.
 I had to clean my cat's tray out, my husband is often away on 15 hr shifts and you can't leave it humming to high heaven for that long!! I was just really careful and wore gloves and made sure I washed my hands throughly.   The proof is in the pudding, I gave birth to a 10lb 4oz baby!!! (actually perhaps you better not pass that bit on!!! :shock:  :shock: )

Best wishes for impending parenthood - and you thought you were busy now!!!!

C X
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Jellyhead

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 08:43 »
Well I have had two healthy babies too. My mum was alive then, she had 5 kids and her mum had 6 :shock:  anyway mummy said "there was none of this nonsense when I was having children, what do you mean you cant eat eggs, offal and keep cats, I did, so did my mum and so did her mum and we all had healthy children" so I was a good girl and listened to mummy. I did give up smoking but had the odd glass of wine and ate what I wanted Lily weighed 8lb 9 an Josh 7lb 11. So there, do what you feel is right
 :wink:  :roll:  :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 11:49 »
Toxoplasma gondii can be caught from sheep (and from cats) it an cause abortion in pregnant women.  I think the risk is so so so minimal that no one need worry about it.  Pregnant vets usually keep away from sheep (not sure about cats) though but vets do get far more... "involved" with a sheep than any of us might  :wink:

woodburner

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 13:06 »
I was going to mention the sheep thing, but couldn't remember the name ;)
I wonder if someone thinks sheep = livestock = chickens if you see what I mean.

Kate you are well on form today.  :lol:

Spadefighter, I'm with you on the immune system business. Also, whatever anti-bodies are in Mum's system get passed on to baby while pregnant and while breast feeding, so exposure to bugs and dirt (in moderation obviously) will actually help baby in years to come.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Sassy

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 18:04 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Toxoplasma gondii can be caught from sheep (and from cats) it an cause abortion in pregnant women.  I think the risk is so so so minimal that no one need worry about it.  Pregnant vets usually keep away from sheep (not sure about cats) though but vets do get far more... "involved" with a sheep than any of us might  :wink:

Toxiplasmosis, not sure if spelling correct :!:  :?: Can be passed on by cats and sheep. I used to keep my horse on a sheep farm in a village. The farmer used to get very upset by all the village cats coming round the farm and the sheep when they were pregnant because it could cause the sheep to abort. It is passed throught the cats faeces(sp) which has already been acknowledged on this thread.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 18:13 »
Quote from: "woodburner"

Kate you are well on form today.  :lol:

Thank you very much :D

matilda duck

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 20:53 »
CONGRATULATIONS Mr and Mrs Spadefighter!!!!

Thanks for all that kate I love common sense and that was hillarious......

I was told all the usuall C**P.  I ate peanuts all through my pregnancy cause it's what I wanted...... I drank Guinness cause it's what I wanted... I had milk till it was coming out of my ears..cause it's the only thing I didn't throw back up!!!!!!
I had a good pregnancy then Eclamsia...... 5 weeks early 4lb-6oz baby girl.... no one to blame!!!
My little girl can eat Peanuts no problem.........but is allergic to Milk-soya-eggs-strawberies-..........the list goes on.........

There is too much interferance with what a pregnant mother can/can't have...It winds me up.......my sister was told she could'nt have Ice cream now thats just down right stupid!!!!!!!!!!

I can't see the problem years ago people had chickens and they had loads of kids...no one came out looking like one did they??????

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 21:01 »
Jesus was born in a manger.  He didn't turn out too bad did he???
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

xx
Hens ok for pregnant women?

Started by SOURIS on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 18:16
by The Chicken Lady
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 36 queries.