john seymour's rotation

• 5 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
john seymour's rotation
« on: December 10, 2008, 15:48 »
Has anybody tried planting their winter brassicas in the bed that the early potatoes have been lifted from? In his self sufficiency book he advises liming and firming in between, but still wondered if it works in practice.

Cos if it does it makes rotation for the rest of my crops easy.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
john seymour's rotation
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 15:56 »
Nope, but sounds sensible. I prefer my brassicas to follow me beans to make use of the nodules left. Some of the elder statesmen on our site have brassicas going in all over, how they keep up with rotation I have no idea.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

milkman

john seymour's rotation
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 16:53 »
i too have my brassicas following beans/peas for same reasons as aidy's put.

brassicas like a nice firm soil so by chopping off the bean/pea top growth at soil level once you've finished harvesting them (and leaving the roots in place with the valuable nitrogen nodules attached) there's no soil disturbance involved, so it tends to be firmer.

no harm in trying seymour's method though, would recommend you compact the soil as much as poss after digging spuds out.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Swing Swang

john seymour's rotation
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 19:32 »
PSB in bed after pentland javs. Limed the holes that the sprouting went in. Doing very well, expecting good crop in the spring, and not attacked by cabbage whites (the brussles next to them suffered wave after wave of attacks though).

SS

madcat

john seymour's rotation
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 19:52 »
Ditto with the PSB and savoys following Duke of York.  All of which are doing great but ...

my mistake  :oops:  was starting the brassiccas ways tooo early so they were desperate to be planted out before the pots were ready to crop.  Lesson for next year - take it a bit easier putting those brassicca seeds in the ground!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

woodburner

john seymour's rotation
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 23:53 »
Quote from: "Swing Swang"
PSB in bed after pentland javs. Limed the holes that the sprouting went in. Doing very well, expecting good crop in the spring, and not attacked by cabbage whites (the brussles next to them suffered wave after wave of attacks though).

SS

The original plant from which all edible brassicas have been developed was relatively bitter and so not troubled by pests. Man in his wisdom *cough* developed less bitter varieties, tastier to both man and beasties, so it stands to reason that some varieties will be more troubled by caterpillars than others.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
thank you john

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 17:54
by pawsnclaws
xx
Thank you John I took your advice

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 13:26
by John
xx
John's diary

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2006, 12:09
by John
xx
John's book

Started by Sassy Lassy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 13:40
by Porffor

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 30 queries.