Re-Introducing Concerns (Please Help)

• 5 Replies

Vickie & Richard

« on: December 10, 2008, 14:35 »
Talk about a cheeky girl, as some of you are aware, Dora has been house bound for 11 days after a dog attack.  She went back to the vets on monday and needs to stay in alittle longer.  

Well she is getting cheekier by the day, not only has she started pecking me and the dog, she decided to go for a walk around the house when i was cleaning her out.  She is in my son's bedroom so we can be as near to daylight as possible.  I was cleaning her out, she decided to have a little walk around upstairs, she found a mirror, which was very entertaining!!  I picked her up and showed her the garden and the others girls at the top, god she has missed them loads.  

I'm going to give her to the weekend and then let her got back in with the other girls, she has quite a large scab on her back that needs to come away first, i might have to have a pick at it later to see if i can shift it for her!!

Hawkins

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 15:12 »
Yeah for Dora the Explorer. I'm really pleased she is doing well. Must have been all the happy get well thoughts we all sent her.

Are you expecting any trouble when you re-introduce her to the others. I've never done it before but just wondering.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Vickie & Richard

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 16:37 »
Quote from: "Hawkins"
Yeah for Dora the Explorer. I'm really pleased she is doing well. Must have been all the happy get well thoughts we all sent her.

Are you expecting any trouble when you re-introduce her to the others. I've never done it before but just wondering.

I hope i don't have any issues when i re-introduce her, i've never had to do it before.  My girls have never had a bad word between them, so i hope this doesn't start somekind of pecking order happening.  Any advice would be great from other ppl that have had to do the same thing.  Thanks

Vickie & Richard

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 17:19 »
Well i decided this morning after checking Dora's scab that she could go back outside, yay, so i put her in the box and put her back in with the other girls.  Now my concerns were right the other girls, who are normally fine and have never pecked eachother, all turned on Dora.  Poor little love, my OH was home so we decided to let them out and free range to hopefully cool the situation.  Once they were all out they were fine.  I've just put them to bed, and Dora is roosting fine and the others are in the nestboxes.  What should i do tomorrow if they all gang up on her again, should i just let them get on with it, with a hope that it will calm down soon?  I could put the dog cage next to the chicken run with Dora in that during the day, if need be, but i really don't want to have to do that!!  What do you all think?

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 17:33 »
i pray all goes well for dora  am keeping everything crossed.

but thinking of her looking in the mirror  has made me laugh i can just picture it now :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:40 »
The easiest way I have found to re-introduce a flock member is to put them out on the roost at night. Seems that if a chicken wakes up and sees them they figure that they were there all the time. Make sense?
 Seems that if you try it during the day there is more of an intruder type of reaction from the flock.

xx
Concerns about letting the girls free range

Started by Jacinta on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 07:31
by gracie
xx
re introducing

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 21:46
by goosebusters75
xx
Introducing new hen...

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 15:34
by bantam novice
xx
Introducing ducklings.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 04:35
by james419

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 36 queries.