wrong time of year for that roundup stuff no good doing it when its wet
sure it needs to be dry for 12 hours after you have sprayed
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Annie

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 16:49 »
Has to be active growth ie green since it works systemicaly by drawing it from the leaves to the roots.I have all sorts of things growing in this weather,an entire rosemary bush is covered in blue,so once the plastic cover is off things will start sprouting,even if it takes a few weeks that still leaves plenty of time before you need to think about planting outside anyway.

WG.

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 16:58 »
Quote from: "little sweetpeas"
In terms of crop rotation the potatoes and the roots need to be planted where the couch grass is.

If you want organic, you can cut crosses in the polythene and plant a potato through each cross.  Same with brassicas.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Couch grass - New member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 17:07 »
I pulled the plastic back three weeks ago. I raked as much as i could and now have started digging although I've had to stop has it is now wet and I read that you shouldn't dig when it's wet.

I'm pulling the roots as I go.  I'm guessing that I have a good four weeks before I need to think about sow/planting anything, but would you expect to see new growth by then?
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

ziggywigs

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 17:15 »
As weather warms up so will the growth rate of couch...it grows slowly like your lawn over cooler months.

I was riddled with it but did a Munty suggested ie let it green up and zapped it with glysophate...i got some from farmers suppliers called Berkley's Gallup much cheaper than round up and can buy larger quantities as i needed a fair bit.

Wait til greens up and then zap wait until it dies completely and then dig or turn over.....wait again as there'll be bits that hadn't come through and zap again...you will get there.  

Since getting everything under control i don't use sprays now just fork and hoe as necessary.  Sometimes you just need to get ahead.

I agree with Munty also about organic growing.....difficult if others are throwing chemicals or spraying crops or even the council up here who throw things around...it all drifts.  

I try to grow as chemical free as i can but there has to be a balance if you are working and not make it too hard on yourself.  Afterall this is supposed to be enjoyable.  Try to focus on an area at a time and get it whipped into shape then move to another bit.

Good luck Little Sweetpea and welcome to the forum.

Annie

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 17:15 »
I would have thought s,so maybe it is dead.Keep pulling the roots out though,even if it does sprout you will have met it halfway.Digging in the wet compects the soil and is hard work.any roots that you pull are more likley to break.Potatoes will cope with a little couch and when grown shade the soil to suppress other weeds,For other root crops like carrots you need to have the ground pretty weed free.Keep at it when the weather is fine,it already sounds as if you are doing well.

Ray

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 17:15 »
I'm new to veggie growing too but have previous experience of couch grass in a rockery. Luckily I had help from a landscape gardener as I was on crutches at the time. - Laugh - it was a very funny sight I am sure!

Trouble with couch grass is that it will grow into your spuds too as they form. Get every bit out is about the only advice that has worked for me - once you have dug the plot deeeeeeeep removing every root you see it should be easy to gently pull out any remaining grass shoots that grow.

The good news is that if you go at it hard this year removing roots carefully there wil be less of it next year.

So don't get disheartened. Green fingers grow as time goes by (I hope).
Ray & Aslan
We may have weeds but we have no mice!

Trillium

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 17:15 »
the ideal time for spraying Roundup is in the fall, when the roots pull in all remaining nutrients to go dormant for winter. Alas, it's too late for the ideal application, so you'll need to wait for spring emergence of couch leaves. It won't be as effective, but you'll get some kill. Personally, I've found couch to be quite Roundup resistant. The top growth dies off but the roots lurk for a while, then come back. The only and best solution is to carefully locate the roots and start pulling them out, trying not to snap off any parts. If you do, pick out those parts and bin or burn them. You won't have space to let the sun dry and kill them. Under all that black plastic, you'll be amazed at how long some of those roots will be, and also, how easily many will come out. Keep on top of the them through the season. they're far worse than disliked relatives needing a home.  :lol:

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Couch grass - New member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 17:24 »
Good point Trillum, my Mother phoned today and asked to visit for a few days.  Haven't the heart to tell my husband yet.  

he hasn't as yet done anything at the plot as it's my baby but I'm sure he'll need to do a few jobs there when she visits.

I guess what your all saying is did, dig and dig again but keep the roundup as backup.

Annie

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 17:27 »
Or your OH,who may find a sudden and overpowering need to visit the plot!

Ray

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 17:45 »
Yes, but it is very rewarding - specially if you dig in compost afterwards - I did a patch last year & it is a lovely texture now even after all the rain.

Let us know how you get on.

Perhaps your Mum would like to give a hand?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Couch grass - New member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 17:45 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "little sweetpeas"
Just came back from B&Q now armed with roundup.

Does roundup work on dormant plants?  I thought they had to be green.  Don't know though since I'm organic.
Yes, plants have to be actively growing to take it up and move it down to its roots. :!:

beansticks

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 17:51 »
Welcome from me Little Sweetpeas.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Couch grass - New member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 18:03 »
My Mother dig , God no. She has never grown veg, although my Dad did grow stuff years ago and still grows a bit of sald stuff all she did was tell him what he was doing wrong. Now divorced but not over the veg patch.

I don't think I'll even show her the plot just incase she remembers the way. I wouldn't want any surprises that's why we live in Bristol and she lives in Oxford.

muntjac

Couch grass - New member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 18:46 »
round up is ok when the stuff is growing , it has a glycol additive in it that sticks the glyphos to  the weed which then  likes to suck in through the leaves  this travels down to the roots and kills from within. only use on dry warm days ,.when no rain is forcast for a few days i would leave the round up myself till end march when everything is going .as i said before take the plastic off and let it come up.
this is when a plant is at its weakest when trying to grow for the first time .hit it when its green with a couple leaves on about 2 inches is usual..one litre can of roundup is not enough on a 30 yds by 4 yd plot i would use 4 litres but then i get it by the gallon from the farm .i dont know how much it costs anymore . what i do is i spray it in the morning early  using the day to dry it fully then i hit it again about a weeek later
when i know the poison is hitting the roots.
 the plant is struggling now to get as much feed to survive this attack  it feeds through the sun etc on its leaves so werks harder to synthesis the bits it wants ,that is when i hit it again...... ok its not scientifically proven that werks but i see the same thing on the farm after harvest ( maybe a month after ) when we spray roundup by its commercial agricultural name and we use the max concentration allowed .what roundup you buy from stores is a 10th approx of the concentration we use .hope this helps
still alive /............

xx
Couch grass.

Started by Dick on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 06:07
by DD.
xx
Couch Grass

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 18:02
by rowlandwells
xx
Couch Grass

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 07:56
by digby
xx
Couch Grass

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 07:56
by ghost61

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 36 queries.