Seed trays and pots e.t.c

• 33 Replies

paintedlady

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 09:27 »
Propagator lids - if you get stuck you can use clear plastic bags (put the whole tray in) or clingfilm, or sheets of clean glass until you get a supply in  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 09:33 »
I've posted this before, but worth a repeat, I use re-sealable plastic bags, these can be inflated to give air space and also re-used, of course.

IF you buy meat from a supermarket, the meat trays can be used as propagator lids.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

farmersue

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24 »
And don't forget Richy's paper pots. We made loads last year and they worked brilliantly.

noshed

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 10:55 »
I get the people at work to save the plastic boxes you get tomatoes and plums in at the supermarket. They are nice and deep and have holes in already.
For seed trays and inserts I think Wilcos are the best. Don't buy the ultra-cheap flimsy seed trays though, they are hard to move about when they're full of compost.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 16:09 »
Another cheep way is to use the cardboard middles from toilet rolls. I cut them in half and fill with potting compost. Then put a seed in each. When the time comes, ther is no mess, just dibble a hole in the earth and drop the whole thing in.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 16:46 »
Quote from: "Steve.P"
Another cheep way is to use the cardboard middles from toilet rolls. I cut them in half and fill with potting compost. Then put a seed in each. When the time comes, ther is no mess, just dibble a hole in the earth and drop the whole thing in.

That's what we are planning on doing next year as we have saved loads.

We also get a load whenever we visit a garden center as they are usually in a box near the exit.

Kentish Karl

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 14:18 »
Woolworth's selling off 3 seed tray's for 25p today (marked up at 97p) + 20%. I brought 5 sets today for 87p.

beansticks

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 14:39 »
You will be hard pressed to beat Wilkinsons,and their 80mm black square pots are excellent value,i am still using the ones i bought 4 years ago

Kentish Karl

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 15:21 »
I've been to two Wilkies stores during the last couple of weeks and neither has had any gardening materials in stock.

garddwr

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 15:34 »
Quote from: "Kentish Karl"
I've been to two Wilkies stores during the last couple of weeks and neither has had any gardening materials in stock.

me too,its because its Christmas time and they have all the decerations up,but come January time they will have a load of gardening things in.And they stay in until mid October Halloween time.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 22:27 »
Digger, your interpretation of recycling is perfect!! I shall be visiting my local Wyevale tomorrow to do my bit for the environment! :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 22:29 »
Quote from: "Hey Jude"
Digger, your interpretation of recycling is perfect!! I shall be visiting my local Wyevale tomorrow to do my bit for the environment! :D

Ask before you take, else taking some ones rubbish is theft you don't want your collar felt for a 1p pot  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 22:46 »
Point taken Richyrich.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 23:36 »
Wilkos every time. There "segmented" trays i find wont take the weight when full, and are very difficult to move, also when it comes time for potting on i find it difficult to remove the seedlings in them without causing damage. Am i doing somthing wrong?
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

paintedlady

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 07:02 »
You mean the black inserts you put into seed trays (that makes it easier to carry around)?  Wilkos ones are very flimsy and I think are meant to be used once (they easily split if manhandled) but you can re-use them if you are careful.  There are some which are a thicker plastic and much easier to handle, but are (obviously) more expensive.

As for removing, I had the same problem but there is a knack.  By accident some seedlings had got a little pot bound (didn't have time to plant them out earlier) and I found it much easier to push the root ball out from underneath while using the other hand to tease the plant out  :wink:  The delay did not affect the growth of the plant, if anything, seemed to be stronger for it - sometimes I think we get too impatient to put things in the ground.

xx
Trays or Pots?

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 18:40
by Lupin lurcher
xx
Starting potatoes in pots and trays....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 22:28
by bravemurphy
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
seed trays.

Started by denbo73 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 19:06
by legendaryone

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 36 queries.