IT WON'T GO, IT WON'T GO... HELP!!!

• 22 Replies

LILACSPLASH

« on: February 24, 2007, 23:19 »
Oh, do and double do! POO :x  Might need Gwiz for this one! It's a b+s 3hp in a flymo DM rotovator and it won't go... It's pretty well... OLD. The exhaust is, well, had it, so no back pressure! I've give it a service, and new petrol :shock:  It will do a few beats on easy start, then stop. I've got the tank and carb off in one unit and have took the mixture needle screw out and put it in some malt vinegar for tonight (even though it don't look that bad) Is there any other jets? We had compression, spark and a faint twang of fuel when trying to start it. Is there anything else.... :?:
Someone take the spanners away from me!

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 23:24 »
i believe there is just one jet on B&S  its to one side of the throttle adjuster screw
still alive /............

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 23:26 »
have you checked air filter it should be rinsed in soapy water and then a small amount of oil put on it and squeezed through if memory serves

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 23:48 »
Got a brand new air filter :shock:  and did the oil thing, think it maybe in shock (from the new bits) so won't start :lol:  will look on the carb again and have a downloaded piccie to help get me in the sort of direction! It's a good job it's too wet to dig anyway.

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 00:12 »
Having a closer look, behind the needle jet is a brass thingy with a slot in it. Is that it?

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 00:15 »
looks a little mullered!

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 00:21 »
It's out! put it in the vinegar for tonight, looked like a jet, sort of, but bigger (fatter) than the bikes. I can see a hole in the back bit, will give it a squirt of carb cleaner. the hole in the "jet" did have a little blockage.
Would anyone have a hand book for this rotovator?

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:41 »
ive got a feeling that if its been standing around for a lllooonnnggg time with petrol in it, you are gonna have to look at the take up pipes in the tank.
they are proberly gummed up.
i think the needle valve you are talking about is the air screw.
this is another of those tank below the carb models isnt it?
diagphram will almost certainly be u/s- it wont stop it running if it hasn't got a hole in it, but combined with dodgy intake pipes/ filters it will be a right * to start.
if you need detailed advice, pm with phone number and i will bore you with more advice.

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 10:29 »
perhaps i should say the diaphragm will be u/s, if its fitted with one. sometimes they are fitted with the "vacu-jet" carbs instead of the "pulsa jet". what they all share in common are the fuel take up pipes that have a very fine mesh on the bottom of them that gets gummed up quickly if petrol is left in them for a long time.
the exhast isnt much of a problem. I'm sure that they are made still. you will no doubt have a choice between original and pattern parts. when fiddling with the needle valve, be very gentle when winding it in, its ridiculously easy to damage if wound in tight up against the end stop, then the engine wont tick over or run very well at all.

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 13:13 »
Thanks, the carb is on top of the tank and one of the mounting screws has had it and refuses to come out. The tank itself is very rusty inside, so have looked and found a tank and carb the same. Fingers crossed I'll get it and give that a go.

noshed

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 15:58 »
Then put it in the bin and buy a mattock - all right, I'm only joking
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Gwiz

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 16:53 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Then put it in the bin and buy a mattock - all right, I'm only joking

where would we put the oil in it?

noshed

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 11:44 »
That's true.

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 00:03 »
I've bought the tank and carb from USA, but am still waiting for it to come, GRRRR :evil:

shaun

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 07:10 »
you can get this stuff that paints the inside of petrol tanks to stop rust build up,cant think what its called though,but you pour a bit into the tank and give it a good slop around a leave to dry,the name will come to me it drys a silver colour a bit like galvoid paint.
have you seen it graham ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.