Chilli's - so whats next?!

• 16 Replies

pulse

• Slug Control
« on: December 02, 2008, 16:18 »
So this is my first season growing fruit and veg.

My chillies have done very well, they have been kept indoors in a large bay window.

They have provided many many fruit, and in fact are still flowering and producing still more fruit.

As we head into winter what do I need to do. I have ten plants that all seem to be thriving still, albeit a few are looking slightly wilted. How should they be over wintered?

How long can a single plant last!

Thanks

Oscar Too

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 16:48 »
Have a look at the cooking and preserving section for lots of suggestions on how to freeze, dry and keep them.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 16:49 »
I'm not 100% sure but I think they are a short lived perennial if you can keep them frost free, they should be ok for next year.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Yabba

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 17:48 »
From what I remember from other posts :

Chilli's live for a few years ( about 5 IIRC ), in winter chop them back ( don't ask me, about "half way" is the nearest I remember ), put them into smaller pots, don't water much .... urm, feed them next year

It may help to know that next year will be my first year of growing chilli's :D

¥

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 18:11 »
Quote from: "Yabba"
From what I remember from other posts :

Chilli's live for a few years ( about 5 IIRC ), in winter chop them back ( don't ask me, about "half way" is the nearest I remember ), put them into smaller pots, don't water much .... urm, feed them next year

It may help to know that next year will be my first year of growing chilli's :D

¥

Thats what Ive done...apparently they fruit better the second year. Dont overwater them,but dont let them get dry..dont feed them and they should (in theory!) start shooting again early spring

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 20:52 »
Well I have been growing them for thirty three years now and to be honest, I just grow new each year. I did used to overwinter but then decided it wasn't really worth the effort, at least by growing new you can try a new variety rather than stick with the same.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 21:33 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Well I have been growing them for thirty three years now and to be honest, I just grow new each year. I did used to overwinter but then decided it wasn't really worth the effort, at least by growing new you can try a new variety rather than stick with the same.

thirty three years :shock:  holy crpp n ur stil going to punk shows  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 21:34 »
aggy just cuts hers back n protects em from frost n up they pop good as ever :wink:

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 23:31 »

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 14:20 »
The chilli man on Ely farmers market told me to cut it right back to a few stems for the winter. I end up getting terrible whitefly, and then I have to quarrantine the poor thing.
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 19:28 »
just finished taking the remainder of the chillies off to dry, ground up the last lot in a mortar ans pestle to make chilli flakes and they are superb!!  Cut all my plants to about half size on 1 main stem as they are only a year old.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Fat Hen

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 21:43 »
Much depends on variety.  If annums (not to be confused with annuals) such as Jalepeno/Cayenne etc it's not worth overwintering as they are fast growing varieties and your probably better off with fresh plants.

Pubescens - definitely benefit from overwintering and will produce heavier & heavier crops year on year if you can cope with their size.

Some chinense benefit from overwintering due to their long growing period, particularly the hotter varieties.

Baccatums - are best overwintered - their growing period can be very long.  Some can also develop into huge plants (Brazilian Starfish/Aji Amarrillo) reaching 15 ft + under right conditions.

For Chinense (habanaros/scotch bonnets etc), cut back to a 3 - 4 inch stalk, rinse off roots and trim also pot into fresh compost in 4 inch pots and bring indoors.

Water only as needed to keep em alive.  You'll soon see new growth, and your crop the following year will be much better than previous for up to 3- 5 years.

Watch out for fungal infection and the dreaded white fly.

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 22:53 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"
Much depends on variety.  If annums (not to be confused with annuals) such as Jalepeno/Cayenne etc it's not worth overwintering as they are fast growing varieties and your probably better off with fresh plants.

Pubescens - definitely benefit from overwintering and will produce heavier & heavier crops year on year if you can cope with their size.

Some chinense benefit from overwintering due to their long growing period, particularly the hotter varieties.

Baccatums - are best overwintered - their growing period can be very long.  Some can also develop into huge plants (Brazilian Starfish/Aji Amarrillo) reaching 15 ft + under right conditions.

For Chinense (habanaros/scotch bonnets etc), cut back to a 3 - 4 inch stalk, rinse off roots and trim also pot into fresh compost in 4 inch pots and bring indoors.

Water only as needed to keep em alive.  You'll soon see new growth, and your crop the following year will be much better than previous for up to 3- 5 years.

Watch out for fungal infection and the dreaded white fly.

good post.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 20:26 »
Hi Fat hen, you sound like you know what you are talking about but how do i know which type i have, can you please expand on what falls into pubescens, baccatums etc

Thanks

Cawdor

Fat Hen

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 17:34 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
Hi Fat hen, you sound like you know what you are talking about but how do i know which type i have, can you please expand on what falls into pubescens, baccatums etc

Thanks

Cawdor

There are some 4000+ varieties of chillis they are categorised as to pod type, flower colour, hairyness (pubescent), etc etc.

Typically Annums -  Jalepenos, cayennes, thai types.

Chinense - usually very hot, though there are some that have the typical tropical fruit flavour without any heat at all, these are your Scotch Bonnet, habenaro etc.

Frutescens - Tabasco.

Pubescens (are hairy) - Rocotos, Manzano - lovely, hot, large chillis, great stuffed

Baccatums - are south american tropicals - often called Ajis (the south american spanish derived name for chillis) - Aji Amarrilo, Aji Lemon drop and my favourite chilli Aji Crystal.  Baccatum varieties can grow huge and often require a very long growing period typically well in excess of 100 days from transplanting.  My Brazilian Starfish would be considered small at 7 feet.  (and is now only just starting to ripen). They are often 12 ft +, and Fatali has some around 16 ft high.

Recomended chilli based forums:  
http://firefoods.phpbbhosts.co.uk/index.php  
http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=8

My latest crop (a few days ago)

xx
Whats wrong with my chilli and aubergine seedlings? (photos included...)

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 09:09
by bigben
xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
whats best

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 18:10
by flowerlady

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 37 queries.