Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question

  • 26 Replies
  • 15011 Views
*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:17 »
Hi All,
A question about hanging poultry....
Have I got this right that you hang the bird intact, guts in as it were, for 1 to 2 days in a cool place (my garage is currently damn cold at the moment), then pluck and gut?
I have a cockerel of about 7 months so I figure it'll tenderise it a bit.

I've tried plucking straight after killing which is fine but I thought I'd try hanging this time first then following Muntjac's advice on plucking, I just want to be sure on the hanging bit, guts in etc...

Thanks,

Wayne.
Cheers,

Wayne.

*

Bodger

  • Guest
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:34 »
People do hang poultry and game but I must be strange, because I like my meat fresh. :lol:
I gut mine straightaway and then let the cool before cooking or freezing them. Rabbits should be gutted straight a way and I treat my chickens the same way.
Unless you are going to eat them stinking, I don't think that hanging a chicken for a couple of days makes much difference to the tenderness.

Beef on the other hand, should be hung for three weeks. I don't know whether it made any difference to the last dexter we had put in the freezer but she was and is gorgious. Cattle are still gutted shortly after death though, even though they are hung afterwards.

*

agapanthus

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: In a slum in Norfolk :(
  • 3334
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:37 »
Munty plucks them while they are still warm...then hangs them for 2 or 3 days guts intact.   :D

*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 13:33 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
People do hang poultry and game but I must be strange, because I like my meat fresh. :lol:
I gut mine straightaway and then let the cool before cooking or freezing them. Rabbits should be gutted straight a way and I treat my chickens the same way.
Unless you are going to eat them stinking, I don't think that hanging a chicken for a couple of days makes much difference to the tenderness.

Well I don't want it stinking :) I had some pheasants once and was told to hang them for upto a week, which we did. They were reaking by the time we did them, anyhow we still ate them and they tasted fine, the smell while cooking them was not so good though...
I think Muntjac said in a post about he hangs for a day or something, it's supposed to help tenderise the meat, since this bird is 7 months I want it to be reasonable  :shock:

Cheers,
Wayne.

*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 13:37 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Munty plucks them while they are still warm...then hangs them for 2 or 3 days guts intact.   :D

This is what I want to be sure on, the guts in thing :)

Didn't Muntjac also steam old birds too? I'm wondering how tough this bird will be, I remember eating an old bird (ex 3 years) and it took forever, I mean forever, to cook it. I did it in a curry on the stove top, 5 hours later it was just getting soft, we cooled and froze the meal then cooked in the oven at some later date and it was fine by then!

Cheers,
Wayne.

*

Bodger

  • Guest
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 14:38 »
Hi Wayne, the term 'old boiler' refers to chickens with some age about them and not crotchety old ladies you know? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: So yes older chickens do need a goold slow boiling and very tasty they tend to be too. :D

*

GrannieAnnie

  • Grandmother of the Forums
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Lincolnshire
  • 21087
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 15:20 »
Quote from: "kentishlad"
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Munty plucks them while they are still warm...then hangs them for 2 or 3 days guts intact.   :D

This is what I want to be sure on, the guts in thing :)

Didn't Muntjac also steam old birds too? I'm wondering how tough this bird will be, I remember eating an old bird (ex 3 years) and it took forever, I mean forever, to cook it. I did it in a curry on the stove top, 5 hours later it was just getting soft, we cooled and froze the meal then cooked in the oven at some later date and it was fine by then!

Cheers,
Wayne.


We do same as Munty, pluck whilst chicken is still warm,then hang for a day or 2, but don't gut until you are ready to cook them as they start to deteriorate as soon as they are gutted.  Also if you decide to wet pluck them like some people do, then don't hang, but gut and use straight away as the water will start the deterioration process straight away too!

That's one reason Brian has decided not to use the new plucking machine we bought as we didn't realise it was a wet plucker!

*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 16:52 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Hi Wayne, the term 'old boiler' refers to chickens with some age about them and not crotchety old ladies you know? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: So yes older chickens do need a goold slow boiling and very tasty they tend to be too. :D

That's very ageist you know, if some of my hens hear you they'll be well upset  :lol:

I might try the extra slow cook in the oven next time.
Though thinking about it some sort of pot roast with the bird in a big pot with veg and stuff could be good....

Cheers,
Wayne.

*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 16:54 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Quote from: "kentishlad"
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Munty plucks them while they are still warm...then hangs them for 2 or 3 days guts intact.   :D

This is what I want to be sure on, the guts in thing :)

Didn't Muntjac also steam old birds too? I'm wondering how tough this bird will be, I remember eating an old bird (ex 3 years) and it took forever, I mean forever, to cook it. I did it in a curry on the stove top, 5 hours later it was just getting soft, we cooled and froze the meal then cooked in the oven at some later date and it was fine by then!

Cheers,
Wayne.


We do same as Munty, pluck whilst chicken is still warm,then hang for a day or 2, but don't gut until you are ready to cook them as they start to deteriorate as soon as they are gutted.  Also if you decide to wet pluck them like some people do, then don't hang, but gut and use straight away as the water will start the deterioration process straight away too!

That's one reason Brian has decided not to use the new plucking machine we bought as we didn't realise it was a wet plucker!


Hi GrannieAnnie,
That's good to know, I've just finished plucking it, think I'll gut it tomorrow now.

All the best,
Wayne.

*

muntjac

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: near diss norfolk
  • 11971
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 21:32 »
boiling an old bird first makes it fill out then roast it to finish it of for an hour or so on 100c .... pefick... hanging pheasants for a week is old rumour as a kid we never did that .when shot hang for a couple days only and then pluck and gut eat asap or freeze .... beef hung for a month is better i reckon .. pork for at least 2 weeks .venison on the bone 3 weeks ...........in the cold  :wink:
still alive /............

*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 21:56 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
boiling an old bird first makes it fill out then roast it to finish it of for an hour or so on 100c .... pefick... hanging pheasants for a week is old rumour as a kid we never did that .when shot hang for a couple days only and then pluck and gut eat asap or freeze .... beef hung for a month is better i reckon .. pork for at least 2 weeks .venison on the bone 3 weeks ...........in the cold  :wink:

Hi muntjac,
Yeh I dont think we'll be hanging for more than a couple of days in future :)
You have probably done a few of these I reckon, so what would you do with a 7 month old cockerel, would you boil it or just roast it on low for a couple of hours? I'm hoping it'll be a bit tenderer than the real old bird we ate!!!

Cheers,
Wayne.

*

woodburner

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Deepest essex
  • 1468
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 23:17 »
I've processed only two of my birds so far.
I prefer to pluck while they are still warm, as I don't like wet plucking. (Learnt that years ago.) First bird I hung for 24 hours guts in, cool place. It was very nice. Second one I left for nearer to 48 hours, it was starting to develop a strange musty smell, (not like normal going off smell though) but I didn't like it. I won't hang that long again. :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 19:28 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
I've processed only two of my birds so far.
I prefer to pluck while they are still warm, as I don't like wet plucking. (Learnt that years ago.) First bird I hung for 24 hours guts in, cool place. It was very nice. Second one I left for nearer to 48 hours, it was starting to develop a strange musty smell, (not like normal going off smell though) but I didn't like it. I won't hang that long again. :(

mmm, strange smells, you can do without them putting you off :(

Well it's gutted and trussed up now, just left it for 24 hours.
He weighed in at 6lb 11oz so a good size bird, plenty of meat on him and so little fat too, I'm hoping it'll be a good meal :)

Cheers,
Wayne.

*

agapanthus

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: In a slum in Norfolk :(
  • 3334
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 21:31 »
Me and Munt have just discussed (argued) about this and have come to the conclusion that it will need about 3 hours cooking time. 2 1/2 hrs at 100 covered with foil and seasonings.....(I like to shove a great big handful of fresh herbs together with a pricked lemon into the cavity). Then, take off the foil and cook for a further 1/2 hour. Don't forget to let it stand for a good 1/2hr in a warm place to let the juices flow right through the bird.  :D  :D

*

kentishlad

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Kent
  • 104
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Hanging Meat Bird / Poultry Question
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Me and Munt have just discussed (argued) about this and have come to the conclusion that it will need about 3 hours cooking time. 2 1/2 hrs at 100 covered with foil and seasonings.....(I like to shove a great big handful of fresh herbs together with a pricked lemon into the cavity). Then, take off the foil and cook for a further 1/2 hour. Don't forget to let it stand for a good 1/2hr in a warm place to let the juices flow right through the bird.  :D  :D

Hi Agapanthus,
Thanks for the info I'm glad of the advice I'll be sure to allow the time given. I'm looking forward to eating it this Sunday with roast potatoes and roasted parsnip, swede, carrots, turnips and leeks; damn I'm getting hungry now and it's time for bed...



xx
Best chickens for meat? And meat bird tips please!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

3 Replies
1589 Views
Last post January 13, 2009, 22:31
by pushrod
xx
Meat Bird breeding

Started by spud on The Hen House

24 Replies
4328 Views
Last post January 22, 2010, 18:10
by cluckingnuts
question
advice on the best bird to use for meat

Started by bucilla on The Hen House

4 Replies
1055 Views
Last post June 12, 2011, 21:28
by binghamd
xx
Ladies meat bird project. More pic's added

Started by kimT on The Hen House

14 Replies
3595 Views
Last post May 30, 2008, 13:26
by kimT
 

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 35 queries.

Powered by SMFPacks SEO Pro Mod |